Prescription Sunglasses

Nag Juice

Yep, I've got some Costas, however only able to get single vision in mirrored glass when I bought them. After I bought them I found out they were done at an approved contractor, not in house at Costa. Not real happy about that. They now can do progressive lens, plastic only, at their own super duper modern digital state of the art shop (that's them bragging)....however rather expensive. I have a tough time paying their cost for progressives.

I tried on a pair of the Smiths and I really liked them, I was told the can also do progressives "in house", it would be nice to see knots without looking over the top of my single vision sunglasses. }:(

Tried to avoid Costa (loved my RCI) but finally had to get RX sunglasses.  Now Costa only does in house..progressive, etc. pricey!  But I do like them.   If you have time, wait for a local CCA Auction/ dinner.  I bid and won the Costas. Took script to local Dr, he filled out form, sent to Costa and got my glasses in Bout a week.  I bid $500.  My buddy had just bought basically same from same Dr and paid Costa over $800.  Plus I hope some of my bid went to CCA projects.

Maui Jim.  Went with the light weight ones and was worried I'd break them, which I did but they replaced no questions asked.  So light you can't even tell you have them on.  Put my 580 Costas on the other day, still a good pair of glasses but felt like I was wearing a face mask they were so much heavier than my MJs.

Going to get eyes checked again next month, so will have to decide again if RX changed.  Luckily I got RX coverage on my insurance so I get some relief on frames and lens every other year i think it is.

Maui Jim for quality and good customer service. Had one pair of Costa with bifocals and the nose pads went gummy after six months. Has to send them back and pay for shipping both ways. When I got them back the nose pads were on crooked.. Lost the glasses and bought Maui Jim. Have had them for five years without any trouble. Only use these with one prescription and carry my regular glasses for fine details on maps and such.

I can't complain about either brand :  I have one pair of Smith's and one pair of Costa's...both are RX for distance...Smiths are really dark gray polarized and the Costa's have the blue mirror lens ....both bought locally in Savannah Ga ...I just sent the Costa's back after first year because frame hinge was broken, ( I think they actually got sat on) they covered frames under warranty and put my lens back in them...$ 35 charge for insured shipping round trip back to Costa.  As for quality.....both have been good. The Smith's hinges seem more heavy duty...I do apply a tiny drop of reel oil on the hinges of both pair periodically. 

Used Action optics Rx glasses for years, Smith bought them out. Warranty is not what it used to be. Had Smith decline coverage on a frame crack that lets the lens fall out. Offered to give me a $50 certificate on a new pair. Told me the crack was because I wore the glasses on my head, I asked where I was supposed to wear glasses. Got pretty  pissed was my 5th pr of glasses from them, did not matter. Would go elsewhere if there was a good option. Not of fan of outsourcing Rx glasses as Costa does. May try Maui Jim.

I had single vision Smiths and now Maui Jim's. I had great luck with the Smith Chromapop lenses and I'm really liking my Maui Jim's. The Smith are a little light for me but I did get 2 years out of them and that's wearing them every single day. There is no way Costa's would last that long (lucky to get 3 months, without something falling off) and the Smith were 1/2 the cost of Costa. The Maui's were more than the Smith but they have a darker lens. They also fit my head very well and I don't have to worry about them blowing off my face.

If you go Smith or Maui, you can't go wrong.

Archived