Gel coat problem. What caused this?

Convertible13

Hard to tell from the pictures if that is paint or gelcoat but I have seen it happen to others. There is not a set timeframe for leaving a boat in the water and I agree with the OP it should not really happen in a weeks time but it does, on occasion.  I'm no expert but believe the older the boat the more porous the gelcoat/ paint becomes.  Water quality also comes into play, I have seen fresher water blister in a few days.  In most cases they dry up a disappear, some cases require attention.

In this case it sounds as if they have dried up, I would suggest having a quality fiberglass shop take a look.

Skip

My MA is an 03 and I have some blisters like that also, just at the bottom edge of the sides.  One side has more than the other but not as many as your boat, maybe it something they used different at the factory around that time.

My boat was lift kept by the previous owner so I blame it on that, and it looks like you keep it on a lift. I think the constant salt spay is the cause. I would bet those didn't just happen from the one week the boat was in the water. They have prolly been there for a while and you just noticed them till after that week. There is a chance that week created more of them, but I don't think those will happen in just a week. Its the lift environment. 

I don't care about the blisters on my boat much, the boat is 14 years old, no one else can see them but me and its not unsafe. I plan to keep the boat, and I know one day I'll have to repaint and will deal with it at that time. 

This is still a mystery?  Either they blister when left in the water or they don't I see on this thread many who have left their boats in for a week at a time with no ill effects, as I said mine is in for 6 mos with some of the hull under water with no bottom paint protection.  It is a 20yr old boat.

Could the manufacturing be inconsistent boat to boat?  Shouldn't at the prices they sell for. 

1 hour ago, Lowcountry Joe said:

Hurricane, I'm not sure I understand. What does keeping a boat on a lift have to do with hull blistering ?  Isn't the effect on the hull the same wether on a lift or trailer ?

I don't think so, on a lift there is a chance its constantly exposed to salt spray. Splashing waves from boat traffic, wind driven water, and just proximity to the water. On a trailer, typically the boat only gets wet when it rains or from morning dew, and most of us have a cover of some type to prevent that.  Im totally guessing here, but I assume rain water doesn't have the microbes in it that causes the damage. The increase in metal corrosion you typically see on lift kept boats is an indicator of the different environment vs trailer kept.  

I'm not saying the lift is 100% of the cause, but it has to be factor in some way. Maybe the lift environment over time increases the porousness of the gelcoat, and then a week in the water and you have blisters.  I see the same issue on his lift kept boat as mine, so it leads me think there is something in common. The common factor could be the original gel coat, or application, but can't confirm that. So I"m left with to lay blame on the lift environment. 

Archived