Keel Repair

staz5

Need a little help/advice on repairing keel on a 2001 Hewes Bonefisher 18.. keel guard came off recently and a nice little surprise was found underneath. Fiberglass was soft so sanded it back. Underneath is what looks like an epoxy filler of some sort (not foam). That was cracked and loose so I removed a good bit of that as well. Has anyone done a similar repair? Others have mentioned sanding down a lot more of the keel but don't want to make repair any harder on myself. My question is what is the best route to build/fill in void before I glass over the hole? 

IMG_2667.JPG

IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2670.JPG

I am no pro but I would think if you plan to make the repair yourself you could use a small amount of foam. You could shave it down to the shape you need..you will have to grind back a few inches to tie in the glass with the hull.. once you get that first layer on the rest is just laying up and feathering out the repair to tie it in. 

That is a structural  problem and  would  be best treated from the inside. If done from  the outside it will need to be cut back to solid glass  and angled/scarfed in. Any type of foam covered over will fail under stress  and load.

Someone hit something  hard and covered it up

When I suggested foam it was only to use as a mold of sorts. I to believe if repaired from the outside you will need to grind it back to feather in the repair. I suppose the question is can you get to the inside without making another hole?

I was hoping someone would chime in that knew how that area of the boat is constructed. It seems it is filled with a very thick area of hardened epoxy filler. I cant see where any problems from the inside and would hate to make the area worse by trying to grind down glass from the inside. 

Archived