Crustacean well leaks?

wayne

I went through my wells to get everything working properly and I can't seem to get the smaller one to hold water for very long.  I bought a new stand pipe that fits very well, but there is still a slow leak.. I'm not sure I could make it from the bait store to the ramp without losing most of my water.. The well also drains when running any distance..  I was thinking of putting in a valve on the drain, but that would just be a PITA.. Anyone ever 5200 the standpipe in permanently?

If you have a new stand-pipe and it fits snug, then you have another problem. It might be the thru-hull fitting that holds the stand-pipe in place. Is there another drain in the live well, must be if you are considering using 5200 to permanently install the stand-pipe.  Do you have excessive water in the bilge? 

When you are running, the water passing over the hull produces a suction (vacuum) on your drains. So, if there is a slight leak in one of your drains, the water gets sucked out.

Fill the live-well with a garden hose and check for leaks around the drains on the bottom of the live-well.

Yes on the secondary drain.. it's kind of an odd stand pipe, it has a 45 on the bottom with a side insertion... other odd thing is it's not totally round,  it has a flat spot on the very bottom. ..  it's easy enough to see the leak, but there's no water in the bilge...  after thinking about it 5200 might be a little much,  but I need to seal it with something! 

Well, you still have to do the water test to determine which is leaking (stand pipe or drain). Fill the live well to within about 1/2" of the top of the stand pipe. If you get water out of the overflow discharge, then the drain is the problem. Probably should just replace the thru-hull fitting on the drain with the type that has a threaded nut (kind of like the threaded drain plug).

Archived