Can I over power my 1900v??

Captd311

Im thinking about repowering my 1900v and have a few questions. I was wondering if anybody has heard of putting a 200 hp on it with a jackplate. I now have a 115 yamaha 2 stroke and I get 39 mph and want more speed. Also how does insurance work if you overpower your boat?  If its even slightly a problem between the insurance or weakening the transom I will just stick with the 150 suzuki 4 stroke.  Thanks for any input!

20170319_090909.jpg

Well, the boat is designed for just so much horsepower, and that should be easy to determine. With regard to insurance, they have to protect themselves and would probably deny and claim if they knew your were over the rated H.P. I understand the need for speed. I like to go fast to, but you might be risking your rig if you have an insurance claim or compromise your transom.

11 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Well, the boat is designed for just so much horsepower, and that should be easy to determine. With regard to insurance, they have to protect themselves and would probably deny and claim if they knew your were over the rated H.P. I understand the need for speed. I like to go fast to, but you might be risking your rig if you have an insurance claim or compromise your transom.

Yeah I've heard that the 150 pushes it over 50 mph. I think Im just going to go with that. Im pretty sure I dont need to go much faster than that. Thanks

I'm not sure of the price difference, and I think Suzuki makes a great motor.  However, the new Yamaha 150 VMAX SHO would be best choice for your setup IMO, especially if you want more top speed and you are going to add a jack plate.  The Yamaha 150 SHO weighs 33 pounds less than the Suzuki DF150SS.  The Yamaha gear case is a nice setup for lighter runabouts, and offers many more prop options, while the Suzuki gear case is better for pushing heavier loads (larger boats, pontoons).  Others will say that the Suzuki is King, because of the outstanding hole-shot.  Just some advice and opinion.

Edit:  IMO you should never hang a motor on a boat with more horsepower than the manufacturer's maximum for that model.

Talk to your insurance company. My lake and bay was rated for 250 and they had no issue with me putting a 300 or larger on it. Only worry is damage to transom. Im in the you only live once category so if insurance is okay for it and you want to enjoy crazy speeds then go for it. I have no regrets with my previous decisions to go for max speed.

Like linesider says (YOLO), call your insurance company first. If not go to Scream and Fly dot com and see who they use to insure there fast boats.

I would think if the weight of the motor is the same no matter the HP it should be ok. Inspect the transom for cracks occasionally and be respectful of your speeds when running fast. Once you get some seat time running fast with the new setup you should be ok.

10 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

Talk to your insurance company. My lake and bay was rated for 250 and they had no issue with me putting a 300 or larger on it. Only worry is damage to transom. Im in the you only live once category so if insurance is okay for it and you want to enjoy crazy speeds then go for it. I have no regrets with my previous decisions to go for max speed.

Im going to give the insurance company a call tomorrow and see what they say. If they are good with it I might go wuth the 175 because its the same weight. What insurance company do you have. Im with boat u.s.

6 hours ago, gamecocks2001 said:

Those boats don't really like a jackplate.  Just put a 150 SHO on there.  There may even be a flash for the ecu now that will provide some more HP.  You are barely going to crest 50 MPH with the 150.  

I looked up the sho and it says 480, the suzuki is 472. Im going to price the difference because I have a Yamaha now so it would be nice not to have to switch gauges and throttle. Thanks for the info!

24 minutes ago, Captd311 said:

Im going to give the insurance company a call tomorrow and see what they say. If they are good with it I might go wuth the 175 because its the same weight. What insurance company do you have. Im with boat u.s.

Allstate

Might as well throw a 250 sho on there since its only 25 lbs more than the 150 sho!

5 minutes ago, linesider 159 said:

Allstate

Might as well throw a 250 sho on there since its only 25 lbs more than the 150 sho!

I think I will pass, I like my transom to much! Lol. Boat u.s insurance actually is allstate insurance, if they give me a go Im going with the 175.

Good idea to go with the 175.  No need to be thinking about breaking the boat every time you get going full speed. I go plenty fast  on my 20ft LT Hewes and don't worry,but I'm not a speed demon any more. I get upper 40's WOT,maybe 50 in the right conditions.

I can't speak to the performance differences but do keep re-power options fresh....just in case...so I can speak to quotes I received in last 6 months on Suzuki 175 and Yamaha 175 SHO. The Yamaha is considerably more expensive even without new gauges and controls and less than half the warranty. 11K on the Suzuki with controls and one gauge and 6 year warranty and  14K on the Yamaha with another 1K to buy up the YES for total of 5 years warranty. Hard to do apples to apples comparison with the warranty so keep us posted what you go with and how you like it. 

I had a 1900 for a number of years and me and a couple dudes on here did a lot of "testing" and sharing info on them. First of all, with 115 if your only gettin 38 MPH, something is wrong.  I could get 47 outta mine with 3 blade and 43-45 with 4 blade...

One issue I had with the 1900 was weight sensitivity.  It's def sensitive to weight in stern, much more than your current 115, I think your gonna be disappointed with squatting and basically make your scuppers non functional.  The guys at factory told me they quit making this boat cause Yamaha quit making the 115 2 stroke...that should tell you something 

As mentioned before, I'd skip jack plate no matter which motor you choose as it will just compound problem. 

After dealing with with my insurance company though tons of Hurricane Matthew damage.... If you think getting some phone operator to tell you it's ok to overpower your boat is gonna matter when it comes time to stroke a check, your likely gonna be in for a big surprise when that time comes. It will mean even less if your at fault in an accident I would bet.  Better make sure the declaration says so not some college intern...

Archived