Initial review.... Star brite non skid deck wax

FINCHASER

So I made it out in the boat last night and got some real world exp with this.  Not sure I can recommend this product.... it was a bit slick for my liking enough that in a light chop inshore I was standing up on the anchor locker with a cast net trying to net bait and I was concerned that I could lose my footing when I tried to plant my feet when throwing the net.  It was not a good feeling being attached to all that weight and wondering how Id survive if i fell in.

It wasn't actually slippery but I couldn't get the ol flip flops to bite into the deck near as good prior to applying it... one example is when leaning against the leaning post with legs angled forward my feet would not stay planted.   On the plus side it beaded water like crazy and is durable as all get out... I just spent the better part of an hour trying to get it off, took a total of 6 thorough deck scrubbings with dawn soap to get it back to near the way it was.  I double checked the directions and I applied as it stated, i may give it another try and if i do I'm going to apply it to a rag VERY sparingly to apply instead of spraying directly onto deck and wiping in.... maybe I got to much on not sure.  On the bright side my deck is clean!

It was not a good feeling being attached to all that weight and wondering how Id survive if i fell in.

Fin,

Anytime I am throwing a net in over 10' of water, I aways us a rubber band connector on my wrist or tie a knife to my ankle...

I lost my balance about 15 years ago throwing on to a large school of hooos off my Dusky and was hanging over the gunnels with the net streaking towards the bottom full of bait.......had it not been for my buddy who grabbed my belt, I was going to visit Posiedon....not good...after that, I learned my lesson...

In shallow water around Choko...the water is usually 10-15 feet and the net line is long enough in case I head down....

I use woodys and can tell you that if you are feeling a slippery deck, you are spraying too much.  

Er. . . . That sounded really dirty. . . 

Anywho, you really have to go light and dilute the heck out of it.  Ask me how I know. . .

The instructions are to completely wet the deck, then spray it very conservatively.  I will never stop using the stuff now that I have figure out how to use it.  It in unreal how those boot and shoe scuffs wipe right off.  

Maybe a little more dillution for the starbrite will help?

Dino... yeah I'm working on a Velcro strap for the wrist like surf board leashes

SCFD- no I was wearing Reefs and due to the sole design theres not a lot of sole to deck contact which would not help the grip situation so I could definitely see where that might make a difference.  I never felt like I was gonna ice skate or anything I was able to move quickly around the boat and from deck to floor with no issues.  Try a small section somewhere on the boat and Id rec applying very sparingly as I mentioned in OP.  I may post on the starbright forum to ask about this issue it definitely has promise... guessing how hard it was to remove it would last a lot longer than anything Ive tried and I gotta admit it was cool seeing water bead up on the non skid

Takes just a couple of trips with salt on the deck and the end of the day boat washing. I do mine twice a year. The first use after I do it you best be careful. I don't think it matters what you use for wax. It is going to be slick the first time out. A little wear and then you still have it shedding water but the slickness will be gone.

Oh, and no flip flops period when cast netting. Rugged Shark shrimpin boots and then back to my deck shoes.:P I wear New Balance tennis shoes on the boat. A lot easier on the back with the arch support and I hate the sliding of my feet on the tops of flip flops. Flip flops and sandals  are for hippies.:D

Archived