Pulled the trigger/upgrade time!

Zfactor

Talk about letting my wallet and impulsiveness get the best of me. Saw a local rigger installing a new SIMRAD EVO3 16" on a boat and was blown away at the screen resolution and viewing angles. Asked him about retrofitting from my existing 12" HDS Gen3 and he says easy, everything is the same except for the power cord, and a special transducer adapter cable. I checked and double checked measurements and drove back and did it.  Made a purchase, went home got the dust off the jigsaw and went to work. A 16" in my pathfinder 22. I think I need my head examined.  Going to wire it and fire it up later today but man does it look big!  Can't wait to splash it this week. 

IMG_1635.PNG

IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1636.JPG

The wheel was done from Richard @ restless waters. He is absolutly the best in the business. He has hundreds of colors to choose from and turns wheels pretty quickly and his work is truly best in class.  He has a great Facebook page and his number is 941.345.3414

• 1 month later...

Frozen, it's the best money I ever spent. The screen technology is what really sold me. I shallow water fish 99 percent of the time so I'm really not benefitting with all the sonar/chirp stuff that's out there. I have an Airmar b60 and it works great. I can hold bottom to 50 mph. I will say that Navionics is a must have. The built in charting is ok/fair at best. 

That unit looks great! I moved away from Garmin almost 2 years ago and went with Lowrance units and have been in love ever since. My next unit was going to be a Simrad because I'm familiar with the operating system and they look cleaner than their Lowrance brothers. The 1900 I just bought has a 5" Garmin. I'm gonna put a larger unit in, but may just get a larger Garmin so I don't have to rerun all new cables.

On 4/23/2017 at 4:18 PM, fishmanjj said:

Wow....that looks nice !  I thought when I went from the Garmin 5" to the 9" ( 94sv)  was big big big....but a 16" Simrad ! 

i guess size does matter in some case........

Did you flush mount your 9" unit? If so, can you post a pic? I'd like to see how it looks since I'm probably sticking with Garmin. Is the console on your boat the same one used on my boat? 

3 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

Did you flush mount your 9" unit? If so, can you post a pic? I'd like to see how it looks since I'm probably sticking with Garmin. Is the console on your boat the same one used on my boat? 

Here is a pic of mine....the 94 SV was a tight fit...but, I wanted it flush and I wanted to add the  "glove box" for wallet / keys / cell phone , etc. The previous owner had a vhf radio and a 5" Garmin there. I ended up getting a piece of starboard and cut it to fit my present set up. Works great ! 

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1562.JPG

Looks good! I've got a glovebox in my console and the little 5" gauge. I just chatted with one of the electronics dealers on THT. He told me that my units transducer and power cable are not compatible with any of the newer 7-9" units. I was trying to avoid running any wires. Looks like that was a pipe dream. Now it's gonna be Simrad when I upgrade.

Notice the hinge on my glove box is on top...that way...you open "up"... otherwise if someone opens it not paying attention and the door opens "down", it will turn on some of the rocker switches on the panel...I know this sounds crazy...but, it can and will happen.  

I must admit...one of the long time forum members and Pathfinder team members.. " HOBO" shared this idea with me about 10 years ago with my 2400v. Hobo outfitted many many many Pathfinders this way. 

2 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

Notice the hinge on my glove box is on top...that way...you open "up"... otherwise if someone opens it not paying attention and the door opens "down", it will turn on some of the rocker switches on the panel...I know this sounds crazy...but, it can and will happen.  

I must admit...one of the long time forum members and Pathfinder team members.. " HOBO" shared this idea with me about 10 years ago with my 2400v. Hobo outfitted many many many Pathfinders this way. 

Man, here I thought you were just drunk when you put the glove box in!!!😀  But without a restraint in can and does flip a switch.  That is why I bought and installed a restraint strap from T-H Marine.

IMG_2732.PNG

IMG_2733.JPG

Archived