Through hull transducer location

fishcast

Hey! I'm picking up a new to me pathfinder 2000v soon! Sounds like there's places to install a through hull ducer for high speed 2D readings etc.  I am wondering if someone could describe where they recommend putting it or have a pic of where theirs is? Sounds like it'll be ending up in the bilge area somewhere... Thanks much  

Congrads on the 2000v. Can't really help with where to put the thru-hull transducer on that particular boat, but just make sure you don't install it where it will contact your trailer bunks or rollers. Some transducers have a built in tilt that are designed to be mounted on a part of the hull that is not flat. Basically the transducer is leaning with the angle of the hull, but the internal tilt of the transducer shoots the signal straight down. If you can find a flat spot on the hull, then the internal tilt transducer is not necessary. Hope this make since$%#

I have a thru hull on my 2200 and would not have it any other way. Reads at all speeds. It is mounted on the starboard side 18/24" from the transom and is a tilted model to match my hull. As said above look for where you trailer bunks are and put it out of it's way and closer to center line is better. Try for a location dead center of the hull strakes to avoid water turbulence/air. I would take a picture but my boat is not at the house. Good luck it takes nerve to cut that hole!

Same here with a bronze, angled (13 degree angle, if I remember right) thru hull. I will try to take a picture of mine tomorrow.  Paints a beautiful bottom at any speed.  I never have liked stringing a loose wire down the transom, plus I don't need the x-ray, 3D, infrared sonar for the type fishing I do.  

Are you going with a "thru hull", or a "shoot thru hull" transducer ?  Thru Hull requires drilling through the hull.  Shoot Thru is epoxied in place without cutting the hull.

The 2000V's came with Lowrance "shoot thru" transducers.  Old style with gray connectors.  If it's still there it won't work on any newer Lowrance.  Should be just in front of the bilge pump.  Mine eventually popped loose all on it's own.

I installed a new "shoot thru" for my Humminbird in the same spot.  Works great for me at speed.  Of course it you skip a wave or two it will lose signal.  

I gives me an excellent 2D sonar resolution even when using CHIRP.  

As Bamaskeet pointed out, it's best to have an enlarged access like the TH Marine 13 x 17 Sure Seal Hatch.  It's not a difficult install with a $18 oscillating tool from Harbor Freight, and you will thank yourself every time you need to work in the bilge.

The correct epoxy to use should come with a new shoot thru transducer.  It is designed specifically to set very slowly AND allow any air bubbles to escape. Bubbles are a NO-NO.  I've heard of many installed with all manner of adhesives or sealants, but if you want the best sonar performance then use the right epoxy.  There are other installation methods, like sealing a large enough piece of PVC in place to allow the 'ducer to drop in, then fill it with enough water to cover the 'ducer and top it off with some oil to stop evaporation. That's obviously for when the preferred epoxy method doesn't work.

Once you have access, the hardest part is cleaning the bilge for good epoxy adhesion.  I had to pop out my bilge pump from it's base to have enough access to scrub down to good clean material.  If you decide to mount it near the pump, be very careful to note where the bilge hose needs to run BEFORE you choose a spot to mount the 'ducer.  Obviously I figured that one out the hard way.

Good Luck !

Archived