Bimini top mounting and materials questions

FROZEN

Guys,

Wife says next boat project is a Bimini top. I really do not like T's for quick casting and sight fishing. I'm not that good and don't need extra things in the way. We do take plenty of cocktail cruises and a lot of scalloping.

So...... anyone have any experience with "Bimini slides" or the Accon flush mount, quick releases?

The slides would seem to be nice to adjust shade fore and aft. Do they work as advertised?

Lastly, aluminum or stainless frame. I know $$ more for SS, but would they be longer lasting, take more abuse, more stable?

Any opinions are appreciated!

The Accon quick released are really handy. Had them on my Bimini. Could easily deploy or take down the top by myself. I installed a forth set of quick connects so I could lay the top back (in the stored position) across the transom and it was completely out of the way of all compartments. My quick connects were not flush. They screwed down with two screws and were about 3/8" high. If you want the flush mount, you have to drill some pretty big holes in your gunnels. Need to investigate that before you buy.

With regard to S/S or Aluminum, there are pros and cons to each. The stainless is at least twice as heavy, but probably takes more of a beating. I had an aluminum Bimini on my new boat for about 3 years and it still looked good. I had an aluminum Bimini on by old boat that still looked good after 10 years.

Have you looked at the Shade Blade? I put one on my 23. http://www.tuuci.com/collections/shade-blade/shade-blade/ 

They are removable, takes about 15 min. to deploy or remove.  Fits in a canvas bag and weighs about 35 lb.

4 hours ago, fin-addict said:

x2 on alum frame. much lighter and will look good for years and costs way less. if going with slide style, mount it inside and not on the gunnel, looks better, jmo.

Question about the slide mount. If you mount it inside the gunnel, can you still lay the top down (front or back) in the stored position? Hold everything, I may have just answered my own question. You could have the center pipe bent so in the stored position, the bend would elevate the frame and allow the top to lay flat on the deck????

If you just have a couple preferred positions for the top you can keep it simple with inside the gunnel mounts instead of the longer slide mount.  Probably the same number of holes !  I never move mine, but it would be simple enough to install another set of side mount hinges and eyelets where I needed them to position the top differently.  Just two thumb screws to remove to move the whole thing.  I'm just using nylon mounts, but stainless works too.

I had thought about a slide mount, but didn't like the look when I laid it out.

biminidown (480x640).jpg

biminimount (480x640).jpg

19 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Question about the slide mount. If you mount it inside the gunnel, can you still lay the top down (front or back) in the stored position? Hold everything, I may have just answered my own question. You could have the center pipe bent so in the stored position, the bend would elevate the frame and allow the top to lay flat on the deck????

the answer is yes, look at grant's photos, same with slide mounting.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Accon mounts. My frame is SS. It's a much heavier rig installing by yourself. Getting the base into the mount is tricky when alone. While underway with top up, it has significant movement on the bases but they have never released. I guess over time something's gonna give.

Couldn't tell you my Bimini make, but it has slide rails mounted on the inside gunnels and we really like it. Also have button down straps on the front side of the aft deck so it's not sitting in the aft deck or boat deck when not deployed. I'm 6'4" and can easily walk underneath and it provides more protection from sun and rain than any TTop. The slide rails don't really allow a position change, but does change the angle and storage position 

Archived