Boat lift bunk spacing for Cobia 237

Minnow5

Hello all, new to the forum and was hoping to get some info on boatlift bunk spacing for a Cobia 237. This is my second Cobia and is a 2014 first one was a 01 194. Anyway having a hard time getting the bunk spacing set right. When I spoke to the factory I believe they suggested placing them under the stringers when we tried that occasionally the water intake for the livewell would end up on top of the bunk. We then tried having them closer together which works but the boat isn't very stable. Thinking about changing the bunks to something wider " thicker" and cutting the bunks on a angle to match the deadrise. The current bunks are about 2" thick  and are slightly pitched inward but flat on the top. If anyone has a system in place that works well please let me know, thanks.

The factory is right, the bunks should be centered under the stringers (strongest area). You don't want your boat to be supported by the fiberglass or skin only. The bunks should pitch down toward the keel to match the angle of the hull. This gives maximum surface area of support. I'd suggest doubling up on the bunks to make them thicker, they mark and cut out the area where the water intake is ( about 1" of clearance).  You need that to drain the sea-chest, pumps and hoses.  

Thanks for the reply I guess Ill be moving the bunks again and see if I can get wider wood or double up what I already have. Its been nerve wracking up to this point since the boat doesn't seem to get cradled which I assume has to do with the lack of bevel on the bunks. Will any pressure treated lumber suffice or does it have to be marine grade?

Archived