To Amp or not to amp

Nag Juice

Ok, so I installed a Fusion Ra-70 with a pair of JL MX-770s in SMURFETTE and with all the hype about JLs being the best, I'm in fact disappointed. Would an amp make that much difference or have the machine guns and Diesel engines just claimed that much of my hearing. At higher volumes the sound quality is distorted and I swear the West Marine speakers I had in the Old sled were louder. 

Hey Nag, I ran up against the same issue with 4 mx770's running them off a sonic hub that was supposed to produce its own 200 watts.  I ended up getting a JL 400/4 and and couldn't be happier.  It's almost twice as loud.  You won't be disappointed with the amp.  Seems like these speakers need the extra power to reach full potential

If you're planning on adding a sub, the JL Audio 700/5 is a nice way to go. The Jl amps are very efficient and ideal for a boat based on charging system capability and running the stereo while the engine is off. The sound difference is inexplicable. I actually had to pull the amp from my boat for a week while the amp in my truck was being repaired (same speaker systems in each, amp is the only difference). I was disappointed to have to switch amps out. 

19 hours ago, Nag Juice said:

Ok, so I installed a Fusion Ra-70 with a pair of JL MX-770s in SMURFETTE and with all the hype about JLs being the best, I'm in fact disappointed. Would an amp make that much difference or have the machine guns and Diesel engines just claimed that much of my hearing. At higher volumes the sound quality is distorted and I swear the West Marine speakers I had in the Old sled were louder. 

High quality speakers need a lot of amperage. No way around it.  400 watt at least with good true RMS ratings. 

We are running 4 MX650's and MX280/4 with the JL Bluetooth controller / receiver MBT-CRX. No head unit. It took about 10 minutes and some different music to get the sound adjusted right on the amp but its loud and sounds great!  

Archived