MG xi5 gps vs 2017Minn Kota Terrova i-Pilot. My comparison

ASB

So after 20+ years of being a Motorguide guy I decided to try the new 2017 Minn Kota terrova riptide ipilot 80lb 24v with Bluetooth . I have had a MG xi5 for several years so I know the motor very well so here is my comparison of both so far.

Build quality/paint- The Minn Kota seems much better. My MG xi5's paint started to corrode within the first month on all three motors I have had and got really bad quickly. The powder coat paint bubbles and peels then it spreads like cancer.  I haven't  had the MK long enough to see if that will be an issue but the paint looks allot more durable. The MK seems to be more solidly built overall also.

Anchor lock- They both seem to be equal here with wind and current and without the power pole deployed. I give the edge to the MG in shallow water, no current areas while my powerpole is deployed though. I like to put my Powerpole down then put the bow in position then hit anchor. The MK seems to work harder finding/ staying on anchor with little to no current and wind and give more prop wash thus making much more noise. The MG stayed put and was much quieter in that same situation. 

Remotes- The MK remote is a tank and heavy. It's water proof and supposedly floats. The led screen is nice but I wish it would show the direction the motor is pointed on the screen while trolling especially when someone is standing on the bow in front of it blocking my view. I like the smaller and more simplistic MG remote although I had a few go bad due to corrosion from batteries and water intrusion. Overall I like the MG remote better for the smaller size and simplicity though.
The MK remote needs to be manually turned on and off and the MG remote doesn't but at least with the MK you know it's on. The MG doesn't have a light or anything to let you know if it's working or the batteries are dead.
The MK does have an app for the phone to use as a remote for backup if needed which is nice and that's a big plus.

Jog Feature- both seem equal
and work great.

A few more observations....
On the MK There is a power button on the unit that needs to me manually turned on and off. It doesn't turn on when you deploy and it doesn't turn off when you stow. I contacted MK and they said to leave it turned on all day while fishing and turn it off when you get to the dock. They didn't have an explanation why this has changed. 
Also there is a puck that needs to be installed and paired with the Motor. This gives you the the jog feature. I'm not sure why but it's something else that needs to be mounted and hooked to power.  The MG jogs without any additional components that need to be installed. The MK does have a lift assist spring feature making it a little easier to stow and deploy than the MG

Anyway I hope this helps anyone out there looking to get a trolling motor. I was going to get an Ulterra but my local repair shop said he didn't recommend it due to too many of them coming into the shop. So far I really like the MK but time will tell.

Good write up, and seems spot on from what I have seen. I'd like to hear down the road how the paint holds up, MK had problems with rust on the motor housing, maybe they've fixed it. 

I did have some bubbling on my Xi5, motor housing and on the transmission. I noticed it 1 month outside the warranty, I contacted MG and they took care of it at no cost to me. Replaced the motor housing and transmission. 

Great write up.  I've had my MK Ipilot for several years now and even though I've scraped the paint on the motor housing, it isn't corroding, bubbling, or flaking.  I've always been impressed with the MK salt resistance.  

I am sorry to hear that there are a lot of Ulterra's coming into the shop.  At first I thought the remote lift/stow features were gimicky, but having recently been on a boat with one, I can REALLY see the benefit of it.   I was working a shallow area this morning and poling my MA up current and up wind.   It would have been nice to have the ability to move the TM up/down to take advantage of the extra power when the depth allowed for it without coming down off the poling platform.  

Hopefully they will get any issues figured out.  

I ran my first generation 24V Ulterra for a year with no complaints other than a spot lock that allowed too much "swainging."  Earlier this year, I put the new "puck" Ulterra on, and so far, no problem.  The new and improved spot lock is like marking an x on the bottom compared to the old Ulterra.  But I really haven't had a chance to put it to use.   I had both installed by Master Repair, and I don't know if their expertise is making the difference in reliability, but I am sure it doesn't hurt.   I also sprayed the black band down with Armour All after each trip or two, per MK's recommendation.  I also didn't use it offshore, beating around in the waves, so maybe that is part of the reliability issue.   

I have the 24V Ulterra and I haven't used my powerpole or my anchor since I got it. The spot lock is perfect, and keeps your position in strong wind and currents. Definitely need the puck for accurate positioning. My only real complaint is the design of the remote. It is large and bulky , but my problem is that the N position button is right next to the right turn button and when you hit it accidentally instead of the turn button it puts you on a set course seeking North. Not what I want in real shallow water with a running tide pushing me ashore. Just takes some getting used to, learning curve.

55 minutes ago, Lowcountry Joe said:

I have the 24V Ulterra and I haven't used my powerpole or my anchor since I got it. The spot lock is perfect, and keeps your position in strong wind and currents. Definitely need the puck for accurate positioning. My only real complaint is the design of the remote. It is large and bulky , but my problem is that the N position button is right next to the right turn button and when you hit it accidentally instead of the turn button it puts you on a set course seeking North. Not what I want in real shallow water with a running tide pushing me ashore. Just takes some getting used to, learning curve.

I believe the "N" button is to maintain the course that the trolling motor is currently on, it has nothing to do with going North.

On 5/8/2017 at 3:23 PM, FunFlatsFishing said:

The control board for my MG Xi5 needs replacement and of course its on a 3 week back order.

That's too bad.  

I just got my xi5 back from the shop last week with a new board. 

Update: So far so good on the new Minn Kota.  Lift assist is really nice on the ol back and the spot lock is dead on. It's just as quiet if not quieter than my xi5

I did order the micro remote but was disappointed that it doesn't have the jog feature. 

• 3 weeks later...

My old boat had a motorguide xi5 55lb thrust that was fantastic. After buying my 21 RF I didn't hesitate to buy another and I'm not happy one bit. My new MG 36V xi5 is constantly turning left and right in very slow currents? It does a good job of holding, but wow it over works while driving me insane. I had a issue one day with it turning until it almost ripped the wires out. This unit is only 3 months old and it's already showing corrosion and the plastic head is starting to crack on the bottom. I wonder how fast motorguide can get it repaired because my vacation starts in 7 days.

18 hours ago, FunFlatsFishing said:

My control board had to be replaced. It took 30 days for the part to come in. 30 minute job to replace. And of course the closest repair shop is an hour away in Lakeland and I live in South Tampa. 

30 days is a long wait. I found this video that's showing what my xi5 does in slow moving current. It does just fine in fast moving water though? I call my xi5 Stevie Wonder.

I've got an Xi5 on my Pathfinder and have it wired into my Lowrance. I really like the functionality of the Xi5. The anchor function works great. I have used it in strong currents and wind while throwing the net for bait at the towers in Tampa Bay. Without it, it would be much hard when I'm by myself. As another member said, I also use it with my Power Pole to keep it pointing in a desired direction.

I've had the same issues as others with the powder coating on the lower unit. I have had it and the transmission replaced twice since purchasing it two years ago. Until they get the the issue fixed, I can look forward to a new lower unit and transmission every year or so. I'm lucky that a service center is only 45 minutes from me and has a one day turn-around.

One other issue is the battery light on the base unit. When it turns yellow, it's time to make your way directly to a place you can use your outboard. You don't have much time until it turns red. Of course it takes a full day of use before it turn yellow.

The first time I had it serviced was at West Marine in Clearwater, but they are no longer a service center. Last week I took it to the bait shop in Lakeland (Central Florida Trolling Motor), probably the same place you took yours. They had the parts in stock so all I had to do is drop it off and pick it up the next day. I live in Apollo beach and take the back country roads to Lakeland and stay off of I4.

Archived