NON SKID DECKS

fin-addict

Hey guy's, Have a question, think I may have asked a questions like this some time ago. giving the pathy 2003/2200v a spa day next week. (prof. detaiiling) complete top to bottom. last time it was done by my auto detailer when having my cars done, I was not pleased with the outcome at all even using colinite. (not compounded, waxed only). going back to my regular boat detailer who does excellent work. question is, what should I expect all the non skid to look like afterwards, flat, semi gloss, gloss. right now it is flat but very clean. last time done it had a sort of semi look but not much. I felt it should have been more to say the least. any help would be good, thanks much, fin :)

the reason I asked and stated year is because of several posted photos here has shown non skid to be more gloss than semi, not flat at all. granted, I do not compound/wax my non skid with a toothbrush like others do on this forum, names not mentioned but you all know who I am talking about. LOL

Clean is clean. If you want more gloss you have to do some buffing. I find that when all buffed out it is easier to keep clean. 

It it is not the best lighting but the right side of the first pic is all buffed, left not. Second one is all buffed out. IMG_20150703_162615_711.thumb.jpg.03d1bfc69017fb2dc536dea5488c1bef.jpgIMG_20150704_153537_169.thumb.jpg.cd38bc48129e274b95e9f90f03136b09.jpg

If you use any of the star bright products it makes everything shine... I went over my non-skid with cleaner wax and a heavy wool pad on the buffer, then a polish using all star bright products... I have no experience buffing or detailing and it came out great... Nothing sticks to the boat currently, I've had a bout six trips sense I waxed.. I went down to St lucie. last week and left with a black racing stripe on the boat. I hit it with some water at the car wash and it rinsed right off, no left over stains of any kind..

1 hour ago, fin-addict said:

Hey guy's, Have a question, think I may have asked a questions like this some time ago. giving the pathy 2003/2200v a spa day next week. (prof. detaiiling) complete top to bottom. last time it was done by my auto detailer when having my cars done, I was not pleased with the outcome at all even using colinite. (not compounded, waxed only). going back to my regular boat detailer who does excellent work. question is, what should I expect all the non skid to look like afterwards, flat, semi gloss, gloss. right now it is flat but very clean. last time done it had a sort of semi look but not much. I felt it should have been more to say the least. any help would be good, thanks much, fin :)

the reason I asked and stated year is because of several posted photos here has shown non skid to be more gloss than semi, not flat at all. granted, I do not compound/wax my non skid with a toothbrush like others do on this forum, names not mentioned but you all know who I am talking about. LOL

Fin, I apply Woody Wax to my non-skid every three months, mainly to keep fish blood / bait stains etc from etching into the gel coat. The WW does leave it looking semi-gloss , and I've noticed when it starts looking flat...its time to do it again. I'm not saying other products don't work, it's just that I have used WW for years and it works great.  For the other parts, I use a product called REJEX on all the slick surfaces ( hull, leaning post. console, etc ) and it works great. I used the collinite for years, but there is no comparison to the quality / durability of the REJEX. Give it a try.....you will being doing your truck next with it. 

You can lay a fish fish on it....move fish and wipe off the blood, etc with no stains. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

I started from scratch complete with magic eraser and got my decks as close to 100% clean as possible. Then did woodys wax a couple of times. If the boat is really dirty after a trip I clean it with Star Bright deck cleaner then do a Woodys wash and wax after. It looks great and has a warm glow to it when it dries. If the boat is not real dirty i just use the wash and wax.

Just a final note that this is all I have done for at least a year and the boats look great but I am considering doing the top sides with TopCoat just for more uv protection.

thank you all. I do use starbrite products all the time for many years, have also started using "Roll Off". Both leave a semi finish to a point on the non skid. also use woody with same results. this time letting a prof. do the detailing and wanted to know what to expect the outcome to be. have not the faintest idea what he uses but made my '95 32' express look like new a few years back. did not have much non skid and was the molded in look not the grit look on the '03 pathy. that is why I asked this question. thanks again guys. :) fin

that deck photo helps, that is the results, almost when I do it myself. have not done it in several months for personal reasons. most of you know why.:(

Archived