Electrical issue diagnosis help wanted

rckeat

Hi guys.  I'm pretty sure I have a bad ground somewhere but would appreciate any thoughts on where others would look to solve the following issue on my 22v.  Here's the situation:

- Lost all power to electronics and switches while running

- Motor continued to run fine and gauges continued to operate (Speedo and tach), but stereo, chartplotter and all switches failed simultaneously. Stereo and chartplotter connected to fuse block.

My hunch is a main ground at the fuse panel needs cleaning/tightening but perhaps it could be the main positive side too?  Any thoughts from board members are appreciated before I dive into this tomorrow.

Thanks. 

Something has worked loose. Loose connections cause this and it can be the hot or the ground. I would go through every connection as over time they all go bad. Time to get some corrosion block and go through the wiring. If not, it will be something else loose or corroded next time.

Comes with age and saltwater. They take no prisoners.

Just a thought but this happened to me.  I was fishing in the the keys and had a long run back right at dark through some banks when my plotter went out.  Stopped turn it back on run a minute and back off again.  After about 20 minutes I found the problem, my battery switch was on number 2.  This was the 4th or 5th day of fishing without the battery being charged.  Switch to both and problem solved. 

On 5/5/2017 at 10:07 AM, Capt. Troy said:

Something has worked loose. Loose connections cause this and it can be the hot or the ground. I would go through every connection as over time they all go bad. Time to get some corrosion block and go through the wiring. If not, it will be something else loose or corroded next time.

Comes with age and saltwater. They take no prisoners.

Sounds like a voice of experience. Sure is tough working inside that console though. 

4 hours ago, rckeat said:

Sounds like a voice of experience. Sure is tough working inside that console though. 

Better than the bilge.:)

Go for it and and buy band aids. You will need them, If you need to get in there do it all.

You can chase and fix problems on a boat of your age. Or, accept the fact that it is time to do it all. Your boat is of an age that many components will begin to fail one at a time.

You have a good platform.  Fix it all now or buy a new one. Then, fix it 10 years down the road.

You got a good hull. Fix her up and be money ahead.

Archived