Power Pro ZERO Impact Braid?

Headhunter

10 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

Anyone have any experience with this braid? Strike Zone in Jacksonville is having a 1 day sale 300 Yards for $15.99, 20-100lb test. Looks pretty cheap.

I would not put power pro on anything I own.

It always looked cheap when I was spooling it. No thanks

15 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

I would not put power pro on anything I own.

It always looked cheap when I was spooling it. No thanks

troy, may look cheap to you, but have you ever used it. just a question. been using it for years, never had a problem, yes it does fade after time. what do you use may I ask. always looking for a better mouse trap, lol.

28 minutes ago, fin-addict said:

troy, may look cheap to you, but have you ever used it. just a question. been using it for years, never had a problem, yes it does fade after time. what do you use may I ask. always looking for a better mouse trap, lol.

Spider Wire. Moss green ultra cast.

My deal was that PP would look hairy and fuzzy after a few weeks. I fish 10 lb test on my gear all year. If it looks messed up I change it.The Power Pro would look bad to my eye. Not to the point of fail but just look messed up and not what I want to see. It got fuzzy quick.

I specialize in light tackle sport fishing. light line with high end leaders of floro carbon. This allows me to present live bait unimpaired by heavy line to what I target and to get a bite. I have 5000 yards of 10 lb test Spider wire in my tackle room right now.

When you fish light tackle the margin of error is small. When I can see compromised line at the limits of what i fish with I change it.

When you go light tackle to get the bite, your stuff best be in order.

Funny, I had the same experience troy had with white spiderwire ultracast. Great line but got fuzzy quick if I tried to use around any cover.  

I went back to powerpro but I respool every 2-3 months anyway on my main combos so haven't noticed much fuzz. I think for the most part line choices are more of a personal preference

Sorry guys, I know this is a passionate subject. I only wanted to know who had experience with zero impact braid. I personally use 10# regular power pro all the time.  I did have some fuzzy issues on a 1500 yard spool a couple of years ago. I called them and they replaced it. I had never heard of the zero impact designation. I thought of spooling my tarpon rods with it.

Never heard of it either. I've used em all; PP, PP Super Slick, JBraid, 832, Fins, Spiderwire, Fireline. Only one I did not like was the Fins. Currently using Ohero and like it as well. I respool every 6 months and usually try something new- seems there are always 'advancements' in braided line so I at least try to give them a chance. Ohero is extremely thin and really bumps my Casting distance; and I've spooled the 15lb test instead of the normal 10.

Never tried it but it looks like it has some merit and some flaws depending on how you are going to be using it. For light tackle I can not see a great benefit. Yes your knot could be stronger but the lightest line is 20# and you are going to have a bulky knot on your leader. It also seems like you are going to go though the line fast with a "tie zone" every 20'. 

I could be wrong and it might be the best stuff in the world. 

I use PP and PP Super Slick (5 to 50lb on well over 3 doz. rigs) and have never had a problem. I have taken a look at the Zero Impact but my feelings were it is kind of "gimmicky" for my needs. If you try it let us know how it works out.

22 hours ago, bernieNC said:

I use PP and PP Super Slick (5 to 50lb on well over 3 doz. rigs) and have never had a problem. I have taken a look at the Zero Impact but my feelings were it is kind of "gimmicky" for my needs. If you try it let us know how it works out.

agree 100%

I have used the regular spectra fiber PowerPro since circa 2003.  I have used it exclusively on all my bait casters and spinning reels.  I also use 100# Power Pro on my offshore bottom rod.  I even use 120# PP for my downriggers with 10# pancake weights.  I have never experienced any problems and come to think of it never had a break off on the braid.  I will not change until Power Pro gives me a reason to do so.

Archived