Torsion vs Leaf Spring on trailer?

Phinz13

Its about that time to change out the leaf springs on my trailer, Was offered to upgrade to "torsion axles" but its quite a bit more expensive so Im not sure as to wether keep the springs ($450) or go for the upgrage ($1200).

any input (pro or con) would be greatly apreciated

31 minutes ago, Capt. Tyler said:

Torsion axles are worth every penny.

Yep, pretty much maintenance free... I say "pretty much" but I've never done anything to mine is 16 years... but you never know... :)

13 hours ago, NCTribute said:

I have read that torsion axles on a dual axle trailer can be an issue. Had torsion axle on my single axle and leaf with weight distribution system on my dual axle.

NCTribute,

I switched mine last year and so far, no problems. Rides great, low maintenance, quiet, etc. I always bought conventional bias belted tires for the spring setup. The trailer guy recommended radial tires for the dual torsion axles for greater sidewall strength in tight turns. Don't know if that's true or needed, but I'm curious what issues on dual axle setups you are referring to.

Another thing worth mentioning; I'm not sure where I read this information, but the theory is that if you have a flat tire or bearing problem with a torsion axle, you can remove the wheel and drive to a safer location to make permanent repairs. If you have a spring axle, you have to find a way to elevate and support the axle otherwise it's to low to the ground to safely move the trailer.

Maybe someone else can elaborate on this.  

15 hours ago, Phinz13 said:

Its about that time to change out the leaf springs on my trailer, Was offered to upgrade to "torsion axles" but its quite a bit more expensive so Im not sure as to wether keep the springs ($450) or go for the upgrage ($1200).

any input (pro or con) would be greatly apreciated

$1200?? Really? I'm assuming yours are 3500# axles. Changed out both of my brothers 5000# torsion axles for way less than that. Of course that does not include the cost of going to get the axles, cut off wheels for the grinder, new SS bolts and body lubricants such as Bud light.

2 hours ago, FROZEN said:

NCTribute,

I switched mine last year and so far, no problems. Rides great, low maintenance, quiet, etc. I always bought conventional bias belted tires for the spring setup. The trailer guy recommended radial tires for the dual torsion axles for greater sidewall strength in tight turns. Don't know if that's true or needed, but I'm curious what issues on dual axle setups you are referring to.

Leaf springs with an equalizer bar share the load between both tires on the same side almost all the time, assuming the tire is in contact with the ground. So when you hit bumps, pot holes or god forbid a curb, the single tire and axle take the entire load with a torsion axle, since they are independent. With a leaf spring equalizer system the load is shared between both tires and springs.  Supposedly the equalizing system also helps to prevent unequal tire wear. The recommendation for radial tires was likely due to this situation and good advice.

You can google the subject and find lots of information on it. One example http://blog.gooseneck.net/torsion-vs-leaf-spring-suspension-axles/

On the other hand, if a torsion dual axle is used on a well made trailer (stiff, correct boat placement and good alignment), sized correctly and good quality tires are used, seems it should work as advertised and can provide an overall smoother ride.

Really a six of one and a half a dozen of the other situation.

Let me know how that challenge works out with your wife, I may use some of your sales "secrets" as I'm pushing for new power on my SeaCraft. Let's say I'm still on first base as far as my salesmanship is concerned with her! Still have a ways to go! 9_9

I replaced with torsion axles last year!  Love the way it rides.  I also had a flat at the beginning of this year and was able to keep driving until I got to the turnpike rest area and changed the tire.  I won't go back to springs!  Don't know what area you are in but Sean at OnSite Trailer Repair in South Florida is the man! I paid a little less than that but not by much.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, DonV said:

Let me know how that challenge works out with your wife, I may use some of your sales "secrets" as I'm pushing for new power on my SeaCraft. Let's say I'm still on first base as far as my salesmanship is concerned with her! Still have a ways to go! 9_9

OK, got the go ahead from the wife. Went with the "safety" speech

Google a bunch of images of boats that have fallen off trailers and are in the middle of the road. - show her a bunch of those!

This will freak her out and in turn get you the OK - I'll probably have to upgrade the mothers day gift I got her too.......

If you have somewhere to leave your boat off the trailer for a day or two, you might consider installing the torsion axles yourself.  An air wrench and a decent drill come in handy. I switched over to a torsion axle on the small trailer for my 15 HPX.  I'll probably do the double axle on my other boat later this year. There are a couple of useful u-tube videos you can view to get an idea of how to go about it. Perhaps your wife would like to help out as a special mother's day "bonding experience". 

2 other reasons for torsion axles.  First, you can change out just the spindle if a bearing damaged it. You can carry a spare, and assuming its not rusted in place, you could change it on the side of the road. Second, the trailing arm comes in different degrees, which allows you set the trailer lower to the ground. Lower to the ground equals less air resistance, and allows you back in shallower at the ramp. 

Archived