HPDI Vmax issue

mulligan

Mulligan , With all that has gone wrong you are due for some good news. I was at Family Boating last Thursday and they where full of boats before the show. Hope you are back running great soon.  You know how I feel about Family Boating Center your boat couldn't be at a better place to be checked out.  Joe R

My 03 vmax hpdi had two issues recently fixed. Shift selector switch would not allow engine to go from 4 to 6 cylinders. Same exact diagnosis as yours. Replaced by mechanic and full rpms back and full fuel delivery. Can only be diagnosed if run on the water hooked to  yds. 45$ part

Secondly, a faulty wire causing the oil pump not to fill the main tank on motor. Yamaha stated it was ecu, mechanic changed harness and chased wires for two weeks to get the bug out. Meantime , I bought an ecu off ebay  then returned for credit while the diagnosis changed.

4 mechanics couldnt figure out the first problem, dont give up on it.

hope you find your solution

9 hours ago, ififish said:

My 03 vmax hpdi had two issues recently fixed. Shift selector switch would not allow engine to go from 4 to 6 cylinders. Same exact diagnosis as yours. Replaced by mechanic and full rpms back and full fuel delivery. Can only be diagnosed if run on the water hooked to  yds. 45$ part

Secondly, a faulty wire causing the oil pump not to fill the main tank on motor. Yamaha stated it was ecu, mechanic changed harness and chased wires for two weeks to get the bug out. Meantime , I bought an ecu off ebay  then returned for credit while the diagnosis changed.

4 mechanics couldnt figure out the first problem, dont give up on it.

hope you find your solution

I totally forgot about this issue, I also had the shift selector problem when I first got the boat, same repair.

I have a similar engine VMAX 225, 2003 and had similar issues but it ended up being the VST filter and others.  Kinda weird that you are burning at lot of oil...they are mechanical pumps i think so I find it strange they are using more oil at low loads.  

Let me know what you find out!  

Curtis at FBC got to dig into the motor today.  He did look at it and ran it at the end of last week and everything tested and worked fine for him.  Today he had a chance to try to repeat the issues I had and was able to do so.  It turned out to be the TPS.  Apparently the TPS only worked when it wanted to like when I tested it and Curtis ran the boat.

Archived