Please help! Leaning post dilemma !!

tarpon41

I just finally picked up after two months my leaning post.  I cleaned the floor and prepared for install. each round plate of the bottom of the leaning post has four holes . I pre-drilled all the holes partial way to enable my screws and or bolts 1/4 in  to fit through securely I noticed as I was drilling  it appeared that after a half an inch or so the fiberglass turned into steel shavings!! of course I didn't stop there I predrilled three others and ran into the same dilemma. My gas tank does not appear to be affected as it sits in between The leaning post. I do have a peep Hole and I could put my arm on there and get two of the inner screws on each leaning post as the other two closest to the beam appear to just sink down into the floor.  There is nothing I can feel under leaning post area.   I need advice on how to continue this install on my 1810 pathfinder. since I did hit metal it's got me very worried that I might've screwed into something important or is it just a support beam for the original leaning post that was in that area before I pulled it out ?

thank you very much guys!!

I called pathfinder no response!

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

My guess would be a backing plate for the leaning post.  You can look at the owners manual to see where the plates are on you boat or if you have room to look under there you might be able to see where the plates were glassed in.

That is a sharp looking leaning post!

Hitting metal is a good thing.  You have drilled into the backing plates, which is where you want to be!  BUT, you want to tap into the backing plate, so that the holes are threaded to accept whatever size screws you are using.   Good job, and nice looking leaning post.

Archived