A little father/daughter time

whichwaysup

To my great surprise and pleasure, my daughter not only asked, but actually DEMANDED that I take her with me. Kids are funny - for the past year or so, she hasn't shown as much interest in fishing with me, but the last few months she's suddenly decided that fishing with her dad is her favorite way to spend the morning. 

That's saying something for a 13 year old who's favorite hobby is sleeping in on Saturday mornings!

I knew the weather wasn't going to be ideal and even with several warnings about the conditions, there was no dissuading her. When the alarm went off at 4:45, she was bright eyed, bushy tailed, and dressed for winter conditions. Her only ask was for me to hurry up and get a cup of coffee in her hand.

We arrived at the ramp and were greeted with strong gusts of wind that cut right through you. Such an odd change from the balmy weather we've quickly gotten used to. We got another surprise as we backed in - there at the dock was a very cool vehicle that I'd seen on some You Tube segments but had never seen in person - I could see this thing being very useful in certain situations!

We pulled up to our first spot and quickly discovered that the 69 degree water conditions weren't bothering the fish at all! Within a few casts, we had our first redfish in the boat - 22" and fighting like its life depended on it . . . which, unfortunately for the fish, it did! 

My daughter immediately popped up on the bow with me and insisted that the next fish was hers to land. A couple casts later, she is tied up to a scrappy fighter that spit the hook after a few nice runs. Undaunted, we tried a few more casts and she quickly came tight again. This fish REALLY put her to work and she fought to keep control of it between fits of giggles. I'm not sure she was prepared for how hard these fish fight! We pulled the fish over the gunnels and measured it out right at 18". Dinner was served! 

The sun came up and the bite ended, but we made a few lasts casts to see if anyone was still around. Just about the time I was ready to move on, my stickbait got SMACKED and an angry trout wallowed at the surface. I made quick work of him and brought him to the net. He measured 18" but was fatter than any trout I'd seen in awhile.

We fished another hour or two, but the wind was making thing so unpleasant that we both decided to get back to the house and have breakfast with the rest of the family. I managed to pull into the driveway just as my wife was headed out on the porch with her first cup of coffee and we enjoyed the rest of the morning together enjoying the unexpected time in each other's company.

When I fileted the trout, I discovered what made her so fat . . . apparently the menhaden are around!

IMG_20170507_103841.jpg

20170507_100440.jpg

20170507_082408.jpg

20170507_061053.jpg

20170507_060928.jpg

20170507_055726.jpg

By the way, getting a 13 year old daughter to get up way before dawn to go saltwater fishing, and WANTING to........I think the odds for a situation like that are about the same as a $700 million Powerball lottery.  Slim and none!  Talk about a Unicorn!  One exists right under your nose!!!!! 

Hah - based on your response, I probably shouldn't reveal the results of this a.m.'s dawn patrol.   Keep in mind, I'm back at the office by 8 a.m.!   

This a.m.'s catch 5 a.m. to 7 a.m.:

2 Reds on top

4 trout (all keepers)

Another 4 or five fish (reds and trout) that came unbuttoned during the fight.  A good time was had by all . . .except for the fish!

Sweet! Your dawn patrol time for reds & trout is nearly same as mine but for snook & tarpon. But I stalk em from land about 200 yards from my office. Yep, I must fly under the radar about that. :ph34r: 

Are you using barbless hooks? I can't imagine what Capt Huff would be screaming if that many fish came unhooked while on his 17MA! xD 

Tell that cranky crusty captain NOT to teach you everything that I taught him! After you say that all you'll probably hear out of him is........"ooooohhhh boy."

p.s. The fish I caught with him up there ate DOA rootbeer deeprunner Baitbusters & DOA chartreuse glitter 1/4oz shrimp. He laughed at me before we started fishing both days but I didn't hear any smack talk at the end of our trip. Show up with your rods rigged up with them suckers if you really want to send him off the edge!! xD

Archived