Trailer for my 21MA

Chitwood21MA

1 hour ago, Chitwood21MA said:

Looking for a new tandem axle trailer for my 21MA-  Should I call Ameritrail? 

Ameratrail = dollars. Great trailer.

Owens and Sons in St Pete has the footprint for that hull as well, less dollars.

The both make glove fit trailers for that hull.

6 hours ago, Convertible13 said:

I've heard nothing but good things about Owen's and Sons. I need one too. Please keep us posted.

My son and I needed a replacement for a '98 Bayfisher a few years ago. Called everywhere, and couldn't believe Owens and son's price. I visited their shop in Tampa, and convinced myself they were real. They are a small family owned shop that makes each trailer to order. I gave them a deposit and they said come back in two weeks with the boat and they would rig. I told them the old trailer wouldn't make it from Jacksonville. They told me "....doesn't matter". They could  arrange delivery to my house if I needed it.

I returned two weeks later w/o the boat, and picked up new trailer. When I got home, I when to the boat ramp, and put the boat on the new trailer. Fit like a glove!!! Never made any adjustments.

GREAT EXPERIENCE!

I have a Venture for my PF, and have to say, I like Owen's better.

I've had two Ameratrails, Loadmaster, EZ Loader and a Continental. The latter 3 were all lower quality. I would never spend money on a trailer without welded bunks & torsion axle.

Ameratrail. Ramlin. Owens. Rolls. You can't go wrong with any of those!

30 minutes ago, conocean said:

I've had two Ameratrails, Loadmaster, EZ Loader and a Continental. The latter 3 were all lower quality. I would never spend money on a trailer without welded bunks & torsion axle.

Ameratrail. Ramlin. Owens. Rolls. You can't go wrong with any of those!

Good to know about Owens & Sons.  Gotta go with the small, family owned company that puts out a quality product, whenever you can!

Torsion axles are a must IMO.  Bunk supports welded to the cross members is good.  Not so sure bunks welded to the bunk supports is a good thing.  If the angle of the bunk is not perfectly aligned and flat against the hull, there will be stress on the hull and premature wear spots on the bunk carpet.  IMO, a pivoting joint where the bunk meets the support, and could be adjusted (snug) would be ideal.

Owens and sons makes a hell of a trailer of the $. Not quite as "finished" as ameritrail, but it's a trailer not a dress.  And you will save you 25% on AT and the other premium trailers. 

As said before, great guys to deal with and overalls might get you more than a discount.

I bought an Ameratrail last November for my Pathy 22.  Best decision I could have made.  Along with all the great, quality features, I love how the boat sits low BETWEEN the fenders, not high ABOVE the finders.  I am not sure of the other brands, but Ameratrail orients the wood bunks different from most makes that have the bunks sitting on their "ends," which has the boat probably a good 6 inches higher in the trailer.  Might be something to consider.

2 hours ago, geeviam said:

Torsion axles are a must IMO.  Bunk supports welded to the cross members is good.  Not so sure bunks welded to the bunk supports is a good thing.  If the angle of the bunk is not perfectly aligned and flat against the hull, there will be stress on the hull and premature wear spots on the bunk carpet.  IMO, a pivoting joint where the bunk meets the support, and could be adjusted (snug) would be ideal.

Torsion axles and bunk supports welded to the cross members for sure!

Bunks that are welded to the supports should only be done when a trailer company makes a trailer for a specific boat model. Exact hull dimensions are a must in that instance. Hence the reason Ameratrail uses that method to build trailers for MBC boats. All pivoting bunk joints or adjustable bunk mounts I've seen eventually develop serious looking corrosion and/or fail at some point; I experienced both with my Loadmaster, EZ Loader & Continental trailers.

2 hours ago, conocean said:

Torsion axles and bunk supports welded to the cross members for sure!

Bunks that are welded to the supports should only be done when a trailer company makes a trailer for a specific boat model. Exact hull dimensions are a must in that instance. Hence the reason Ameratrail uses that method to build trailers for MBC boats. All pivoting bunk joints or adjustable bunk mounts I've seen eventually develop serious looking corrosion and/or fail at some point; I experienced both with my Loadmaster, EZ Loader & Continental trailers.

Conocean, THIS is why you should spend more time cleaning and shining your trailer and less time feeding the poor.   Sheesh, how didn't you make the connection??:P

I recently picked up a dual axle Owens for my 21MA. Super trailer and price, and a great company. They know the hull. check out the gallery on the website for pics of the 21

PS - mine is not a welded bunk setup, but they can probably do whatever you want. Worth a call.

Rolls axle is the best trailer I have owned and I've owned a bunch. Their unique patented  Lifetime spring system is like no other. No axle per say to worry about. All the other companies mentioned use torsional. They work better than leaf springs but still corrode and eventually fail.  Rolls system will never fail.  Look it up. 

Archived