HDS Gen 3 side scan help

whichwaysup

Hey folks - 

Something's wrong, and I can't figure it out for the life of me.   My HDS Gen 3 side scan used to be incredibly detailed - it really blew me away.  Every time I looked at it, it was telling me about the water around me that I had no idea of.   Below are some screen shots of what was fairly typical.   Now when I use it, the view never changes - very boring contours, no evidence of baitfish or fish.   The view changes enough that I know its reading the bottom where I am and I can see the obvious stuff like bridge pilings, etc, but the lack of detailed bait fish, or other details seems odd.  At first I thought that I was just in an area without activity, but it's been almost a year now and the other day, I could see the baitfish on the surface (in relatively shallow water) but not on the screen.

I am going to play with contrast and palette more, but is there any way to adjust sensitivity?  I am shooting in 800kHz.   On major change to note - all of the shots below (and my initial experience with side scan) was up on the Pamlico river which was brackish.  I am now fishing in the salt.   

EDIT:  Hmmmmmmmmm I just noticed that in the screen shots, I'm shooting in 455kHz . . . .I will have to switch back and see what happens!

shot008.png

shot007.png

shot006.png

shot005.png

shot003.png

shot004.png

shot001.png

455 kHz is generally used in deeper applications and will show less detail than 800 kHz. 

I normally use 800 kHz in 50 feet or less of water and 455 kHz in 50 feet or more.

If you're seeing a lot of fuzzyness in your images, try changing your sensitivity and contrast. 

The saltwater will generally have more fuzz compared to freshwater depending on the salinity, tidal flow, etc. in your area.

There are a ton of great youtube videos out there, but spending an hour adjusting settings on the water is your best bet to getting your device dialed in for your area.

Josh B.

13 minutes ago, Josh B said:

455 kHz is generally used in deeper applications and will show less detail than 800 kHz. 

I normally use 800 kHz in 50 feet or less of water and 455 kHz in 50 feet or more.

If you're seeing a lot of fuzzyness in your images, try changing your sensitivity and contrast. 

The saltwater will generally have more fuzz compared to freshwater depending on the salinity, tidal flow, etc. in your area.

There are a ton of great youtube videos out there, but spending an hour adjusting settings on the water is your best bet to getting your device dialed in for your area.

Josh B.

Thanks Josh - I know how to adjust contrast, but for the life of me, I can't find any direction on where to adjust sensitivity for my downscan/Sidescan view.   Do you use an HDS unit?  Can you point me in the right direction?

Theres  no sensitivity adjustment on HDS.  FReq, Contrast and proper range adjustment will tune images to there best.  Looks like you have an awful lot of noise in the center of those shots but if it was working well and nothings changed in the setup that's a tough one, for sure go to 800hz.  You say the good shots were in fresh the others in salt?

Archived