21MA Bilge Help

all wet

I noticed the bilge pump circuit breaker popped when I was doing a routine bilge pump check at home the other day.  So today I go to remove it to see what's broke or froze up, and I see one of the 3 seacock handles laying in the bottom of the bilge.  Found the nut and rusted off stem laying there too.  That's the seacock I keep open for the rear livewell, so no way to shut it off now if anything ever happened and I needed to.  I don't use the release well or front live well so I keep those seacocks closed.  Even though there is a 11"x17" or so access cover, it's just plain packed full of stuff to be able to work on anything.  I can't get two arms down to the bottom to pull the hose off the bilge pump, and couldn't even think about replacing the seacock.

So, I know I have to remove the 3 livewell pumps, strainers and hoses to get to the seacock.  I'm thinking about re-doing the piping to make it a cleaner and more accessible. 

Here's what I need some thoughts on:

There are 3 inlets from the sea chest, each one having a seacock, livewell pump and strainer.  It would be a lot simpler with one main seacock, then split the piping for connections to the 3 pumps.  I would use brass or stainless plugs to close off the un-used 2 sea chest fittings.  I would never be filling more than one livewell at a time, even if I did use more than one of them.  I can re-arrange the pumps and connections so there is clear easy access to the one main seacock in this setup.  I think it would be a much better set up if ever needed quick access to close the seacock.

Have any of you guys done something like this before, or know of any reasons not to do this?

Bilge 1.JPG

Bilge 2.JPG

Bilge 8.JPG

Billge 5.JPG

I have the same setup (2004 but without the strainers for some reason) and redid mine 2 weeks ago thru the pie hole - ouch.

Suggestion: There are 2 feeds into the main livewell from one pump. Rather than just turning off those other 2 seacocks, why not use them as backup.

I took the pump that was feeding the release well, and routed it to the main well. So now the main well has 2 completely separate setups going to it. Nice if one goes out. (You could even splice in the bow pump if your truly never going to use it, and have 3 available!)

Just remember to put a high loop in the lower feed line to your livewell, or it will drain at rest without that pump on.

Id keep all 3 seacocks just because.  

Did you guys replace with bronze or stainless valves?  I'm thinking stainless, but would at least have to have stainless stems if using bronze ones.

I may still keep the original set up (one seacock for each pump), but will definitely reconfigure them to make better access.  Once I get everything out of there I'll be able to see what would work best with the new set up.

Your thru hulls are more aft than mine, looks like much more room to work.  Appreciate all the comments.  I've got the froze up bilge pump out, all the live well pumps and strainers out, and took out the wash down pump and hoses since I never use it.  

Ordering parts tomorrow and will put in new bilge pump, and new arrangement of valves and other stuff.  Will be way more accessible and organized.  Will post up some pics when done.

Dang sore ribs from leaning into that access hatch, time for beer relief.

Archived