Trolling motor for 17 HPX-V ??

JJstrong

Hello all...

Im looking to get an ipilot for my 02 17 HPX-V. Any suggestions on what model to get and what batteries would be best?? Im thinking of a 12V, 55lb thrust because as you know, space is limited in our boats. I heard of newer gel batteries that are smaller but last just as along as bigger ones...

Your help is appreciated

24v for sure. Hours spent on the troller will be high- a 12v will not give you enough time if you're like me and move all over the place. If you get an ipilot with anchor setting you'll need the extra juice even when you're 'staying still'. 

15 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

+1 DON'T GO 55lb!  Never underbuy on a TM - a 55 will move you in calm water, but when you really need it, it won't have the power.   I made this (costly) mistake on my MA.   Go with the 24V 80#, you absolutely will not regret it.

The man makes sense, IMHO. 

My 17T's hull size and weight are close to yours.  It's got a 55# 12v iPilot on it, with (only) one  group size 31 Deka AGM battery.  I've never had a problem with battery life, but in a strong current, it struggles. 

It should depend on where you go, how you use it and the conditions you use it in. I had a 55# with 2 group 24agms on the HPX micro and it worked fine. I have an 80# on the HPXS with 3 group 24 AGM batteries in the console. It's fantastic but I gave up some draft. I don't typically fish where there is a lot of current so the 55 was fine for me. If I built one from scratch it would have a 55# on it. We are talking 1100# boats here fully loaded.

Hope that helps some!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your input gentlemen..i ended up fishing with a buddy that has a 17T (almost same hull as mine) with 55 ip and it did great for 2 days. In areas of heavier current it was tougher but got the job done. I pulled the trigger on the terrova 55 with a 12v group 31 deka. For what I do I think it be sufficient, if not  then someone is gonna get a great deal lol..Thanks again

Archived