Battery Switch 2009 Cobia 237

CaptBart

I have the original battery switch in my Cobia 237. See attached pictures. I was wondering if this charges both batteries while motor is running ? I want to install a new JL audio amp and speakers and the installer asked me to identify the house battery and the motor battery. I have two batteries and alternate between 1 and 2. If I connect the amp to one battery (house), will it charge when I am running the motor with the other battery ? Need help. Thanks

l_batteryswitch.jpg

If you have the standard set-up, battery #1 is the dedicated starting battery and battery #2 is the house or back-up starting battery. If you are running the motor in battery #1, that is the only battery getting charged and likewise for battery #2. If you select "All", I think the motor charges both batteries.

If you are spending money on wiring consider changing your set up with a add a battery switch from blue sea. using the add a batter you can simply switch the selector to on. the switch will make battery 1 the start and battery two your house. If the voltage drops in #1 it will isolate the battery so that you will have voltage to start the motor. once the motor is running the switch will allow the engine to charge both batteries again. 

Archived