best electric winch

Wanaflatsfish

Interesting, I toyed with the idea for awhile, a very short while but everything I read scared me away. A lot of the reviews I read the people didn't even get them out of the box before finding something broken. Good to hear someone has had good luck with one. 

3 hours ago, justfish said:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what for? Is this for retrieving where there's no ramp? I have never used more than a foot or so of my winch strap on any of my boats...

The way my loading on the ez-loader trailer...due to the deep V, I've banged the V as it's come off the pads...the previous owner had an electric winch...now I know why.

dc

You might have a unique and worthwhile need for one. But I, like some others, found it was a significant overcomplication of what used to be a simple mechanical task. After about a year of messing with it, I finally threw it away and put a good manual winch on it and am much happier. 

7 hours ago, Bruce J said:

You might have a unique and worthwhile need for one. But I, like some others, found it was a significant overcomplication of what used to be a simple mechanical task. After about a year of messing with it, I finally threw it away and put a good manual winch on it and am much happier. 

I"m thinking maybe it would be better to put on a keel guard....I"m hearing the same...anything decent seems to be over $400...

dc

I would point out that most new technical poling skiff trailers are setup to dry launch and retrieve their boats. Which means you are only back the trailer up enough to barely get the back of your bunks in the water, keeping your axle and hubs dry. Then you just push the skiff off by hand. To retrieve an electric winch can be used, since you are winching up almost the length of the trailer, instead of floating the boat on. No clue what brand winch is best. This is probably a very different application than the guys with pathfinders and larger flats boats are used to.  

3 hours ago, mulligan said:

Do you have a 2 or 4 bunk setup?  My last trailer was an EZ Load with a 2 bunks that would bump the "v".  I added centring bunks and it not only kept the keel from bumping but of course made it much easier to load. 

Yes, only two bunks...I didn't think of the centering suggestion...this is exactly what is happening.....when it is placed too deep, it float around...when too shall, it can bang  the bunks :(

I"ll give Ez-loader a call and see what can be done...sounds like the fix I'm looking for....

Thank you very much for sharing your experience...

DC

I was having nightmare problems with me 2-bunk only trailer for years (keel getting chipped when loading)... tried adding center bunks (sometimes called "front bunks" or "drunk bunks" and still had problems.  Finally adjusted the front bunks so they ONLY act as guides to make sure boat comes on straight and added a keel roller and finally no more problems.

Archived