New stealing trend in Miami

flatsdoctor

Sorry to hear about you string of bad luck.

As long as there are a group of people there is going to be theft, it is just a sad fact.  Just last week we had an utility cart stolen from my work.  I work in an upscale golf community.  It is a gated community with all kinds of alarm systems, patrolling "security", cameras  everywhere, ect. It is also one of the fastest growing areas. More people= more theft.  I grew up in the same area back when it was "out in the sticks" and would just leave my wallet, keys ect in the truck so I would not loose them, not anymore.

I was born down in SE FL and see why my parents moved when I was in diapers.  Heck, that was in the 70's.

19 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

Here are the names of several very good and proven security systems :  Smith & Wesson , Ruger, Browning, Daniel Defense, Colt....etc. The main difference between a home alarm and a precision firearm is.... when the thief hears the alarm, they run.....when the firearm goes off....they can't.

forgot sig, lol

This theft reminds me of the above average number of Yamaha outboards stolen in Miami-Dade and from what I hear the Bahamas. If there was not someone willing to buy the stolen merchandise why would there be a need to steal them. I know this is a rather simplified statement, however it's one of those follow the money things. The original thief gets his $5k on a stolen $20 to $25k motor, the middle man gets $10k selling it to the final buyer and ALL the crooks are happy!! It's just not right.

In this case of the F-250 grill, who would buy the stolen grill? Maybe a body repair operation. Again, these folks are dishonest scum.

7 hours ago, fin-addict said:

forgot sig, lol

Someone forgot,  Mr. Glock. Maybe our new President will stimulate the economy and create jobs by building more prisons. Sorry, just had to go off. But, it's just a crying shame that a hard working man has to put up with this stuff.

1 hour ago, fsusteve said:

a lot of it if not most goes to south America, this is no secret.

... or any salvage yard in any town in America. I hit a deer in Callahan FL back in 2012, a big one that went through the grill and everything else in front of the motor on my Duramax. The only parts that were "new replacements" were the mechanical parts. Every body component was from a salvage yard or some sort of used parts supplier. That's dealing with State Farm and Coggin Chevrolet in Jacksonville not some cut-rate insurance using a shady body shop.

As someone stated... follow the money.

1 minute ago, jason p said:

... or any salvage yard in any town in America. I hit a deer in Callahan FL back in 2012, a big one that went through the grill and everything else in front of the motor on my Duramax. The only parts that were "new replacements" were the mechanical parts. Every body component was from a salvage yard or some sort of used parts supplier. That's dealing with State Farm and Coggin Chevrolet in Jacksonville not some cut-rate insurance using a shady body shop.

As someone stated... follow the money.

You need a new tail gate for a F-250? They are around 2500 plus bucks with zero dent's. They got my sons 2012 and it cost him big bucks after deductible. Insurance my azz. You are insured until you make a claim. Just ask them.

That is why you need to insure response is a joke. These bums steal from you they cost you money at the time of the theft and then the theft cost's you money for the rest of your life for making a claim. Not to mention premiums are what they are because there is so much theft by the low life's that are cycled through to steal again.

It makes me rethink to what extreme I would take it if you caught stealing around my place. I will make sure the choices are legally limited to me and not the thief. If I was the OP in this thread I would lose my mind and yes I would move out of there. You can't insulate yourself from crime of this type but you sure can distance yourself from it to some degree.

Grew up in Miami and lived there until '96 when we moved to Palm Beach Gardens where we'll stay. Doc, seriously you should check it out. By the way, had one car stolen in Miami, three cars burgularized, one house intrusion, my Dad's truck stolen.....so happy we relocated. Plus lots of fishing opportunities up this way.

dh

Sorry to hear about the string of bad luck you've had. I've lived in Miami my whole life and haven't really had a problem with theft(I must just be lucky). This may be a foolish comment but you may want to invest in a security camera. I can speak from experience that a security camera system will deter many from even considering to steal from your house. Just a thought. 

On 5/23/2017 at 7:27 AM, fsusteve said:

It's creeping over, we need a wall on the dade/collier line

Found on Craigslist a grille (maybe my own😤 at a truck repair shop for $550 in Broward installed in less than 5 minutes 

through insurance it would have cost close to 2K and still have a $500 deductible, besides having to drop off the truck for a couple of days and having to deal with State Farm again!!

IMG_3745.JPG

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, Capt. Troy said:

... That is why you need to insure response is a joke. These bums steal from you they cost you money at the time of the theft and then the theft cost's you money for the rest of your life for making a claim. Not to mention premiums are what they are because there is so much theft by the low life's that are cycled through to steal again....

If you really want to brighten your day guestimate what you've paid in premiums over your driving, boating, home-owning, etc... life, and then figure what they've paid in claims that you've filed.

Cheers.

44 minutes ago, jason p said:

If you really want to brighten your day guestimate what you've paid in premiums over your driving, boating, home-owning, etc... life, and then figure what they've paid in claims that you've filed.

Cheers.

Insurance is about a shared risk pool of resources....you pay a small amount for the right to have a large amount fully reimbursed or replaced....you are correct...look at car insurance...

I've been driving for 45 years...probably paid minimum - $2500 per year....that's for rounding error's $112K....at any one point in time, should i have had a complete replacement due to stolen or damage...my new vehicle would be about $35K....Could I have self insured...probably with some planning etc....but, for the average person, it makes sense to pay the premiums and hopefully have the right to claim when necessary...

FWIW - I've had one car total and some major damage over my life....so, I'm probably behind a bit....but, I'll keep paying...never know when it happens...that's why the call it insurance....most large Corporations self insure....but, that's another few paragraphs....LOL

dc

I'm just messing around. With the high homeowners premiums here in the "HVHZ" we thought of self insuring our home since we don't have a mortgage but I don't have the guts to do it.  When a storm makes it over the mountains of the Dominican Republic and starts heading this way, as was with the case of Matthew last year, I'd be singing a totally different tune for sure.

It's that deductible number that gets me. Always seems the damage or loss barely meets or exceeds it for me. And, if slightly over it is just not worth the hassle or risk of your rates being raised to make a claim,

I still think of my Wife's Expedition which was almost new got stolen. The hassle, the 30 day wait for recovery and then trying to get paid. They treated me like I had the thing stolen. Heck, I had a free and clear title to the thing. In the end I lost about 7K in that little deal. Yes, I canceled Liberty Mutual.B|

Glad I live up here! The crime wave is starting to creep up here now(Panhandle) plus we have to deal with the malaria, yellow fever and cholera outbreaks plus the lack of reliable electricity, all dirt roads and little or no gasoline. So think about all of that before you decide to relocate here.

Archived