Trip down to Islamorada

AMJ

Depending where you are traveling from. You will still have  a few hours travel from Boca Raton to your final destination.
Some nice hotels off 95 in Boca, especially on Yamato Rd. It is Springhill Suites if I remember correctly. Easy off and on to 95. I avoid areas south as they are have theft problems currently.
I also like Stuart as a stop, but then I'm prejudiced, but that will add another hour to your trip the next day.

23 hours ago, AMJ said:

We're traveling down to Islamorada this summer.  I'm looking for a safe place to stop couple hours north of Islamorada.  Is Ft Lauderdale a nice safe place to stop?

Head west off of I-95 on I-595--you'll want to go that general direction anyway to go down to Islamorada.  Stop in Plantation area.  There is a Hampton Inn and a Marriott Courtyard in Plantation near the Fountains, where there are plenty of places close by to eat and shop.  It's 100 miles from there to Islamorada.  PM me if you want to know more and I'll be happy to help.

Not sure where your coming from, but you should be on turn pike by then not 95 in my opinion.  We usually leave late and stop at Sheraton Suites Ft lauderdale cypress creek. It is closer to 95 than turnpike but not bad access to either. Good clean place and always has room for boat somewhere and have 24hr security so feel a lil better.  

Not bad neighborhood, but not great either. I walked down street to get a 12 pack of beer so didn't have to pull boat all around...prob wouldn't do that again

4 hours ago, AMJ said:

I have been studying directions. Is there a big benefit in taking the turnpike vs I-95 all the way down?  That may be a crazy question.

Yes generally way less traffic. Most people cut over at Ft Pierce as 95/turnpike are very close to each other on that exit 

get a sun pass before you go so you can just cruise on down

5 hours ago, Headhunter said:

That's a loaded question! I take the turnpike from Ft Pierce south rather than I-95. A lot less traffic and an easy drive. Take the saw grass near Coral Springs from there west around down town Miami back on the turnpike to US1.

Do this... made the trip three times a month for a year. 

Are you stopping just to sleep or want to spend a few more hours? I also live in Plantation and work off Yamato and 95.  If you are spending a few more hours, there is a hotel next to Bass Pro Shops right off 95... you could do some last minute shopping before hitting Islamorada.  If it is just to sleep, I'd stay close to 95.

I too live in Plantation / FLL.....

For Play has a good suggestion if you need some tackle and want to spend a bit of time relaxing / shopping...you can disconnect the trailer and hit some local flavor...the hotel is a Courtyard Marriott...

If you decide to take the "Western" route, you can stop off out near the Saw Grass Mills where there are some hotels....I don't remember if there are any hotels inside Weston; however, it's probably one of the "safer" areas for boating...you'll be about 2.5 hours to Islamorada.

No matter where you stop, just remember, you are in South Florida...strip the boat of any rods, GPS, Trolling motor, etc....or it will be stripped for you.

It's unfortunate but, I would not leave a $2500 trolling motor on the boat in a Hotel Parking lot....

I'm sure you've done your check list for a 15 hour run, extra hubs, two spares, tools  to make on road repairs, etc. etc.  

BTW, I would also copy down the link to the guy who does trailer repairs in So Florida..

Great time of year for yellow tailing...

DC

Archived