Big pine key and e free gas

localangler

We will heading to the keys in early June and staying on Big Pine.  Being from out of town where are good spots to get e free gas? I've guessing Bahia Honda for in the water fueling but what if I put it on the trailer? We will be on the no name key channel side of Big Pine.  

Excellent, last time we were down my buddy didn't care with his boat. But I'm a little different, I look for at least 90 octane up here. And the closest place is a small station but I get good gas there. The spinx has better breakfast and a big area but only 87 and the 92 down the street runs better. 

The best price you will find will be at big line key fishing lodge. It is priced even better than the gas stations on the island. We have been doing it that way for the last 10 years or so. And it is a nice easy boat ride. Call around when you get there but that is what we do every year. 

There is plenty of Rec fuel in the keys...do a search on Recreational Fuel - Florida on Google and it has all the stations listed..

Buy 1/2 doz 5 gallon cans at home cheapo and depending on how hard you are running, that should take care of 90% of your needs.

Be sure to bring along a chain to secure them in the back of your pickup truck...things have a tendency to walk off in the keys...voodo spirits lift gas cans into the air at night in search of another's home :(

dc

• 2 weeks later...

Filled the tank this morning, dunked the boat and headed to the Gulf Side to play. Slowed down for a bridge, when I powered back up I spun the hub. Limped back to the dock on th e trolling motor. Now i am sitting by the water nursing my wounds. 

On a unrelated to topic note. The Costco brand Canadian Whisky is pretty darn good while sitting in paradise. But looking at a pathy with no prop stinks! Yes I know I should of had a spare, but hard lesson learned. 

Prop tec owner met me at his shop at 7 am. I've never seen a PT prop hub before and when mine went there was nothing left to learn from. He sold me a spare and taught walked me through how he rebuilt mine. Now, I now how easy that project is. It is just a inserting alternating rubber and plastic stick for lack of a better definition. Then we talked for 45 minutes about B.S.  Then it was off to Bandito for a pinfish trap, they were out Saturday and had one ready at 9. Back in the water by 1030 after a few more things. Now we are enjoying paradise. 

Archived