Scam alert!

Reel Loco

• 2 weeks later...

The same thing happened when I bought my Pathfinder 2nd hand from someone in Fort Lauderdale. His ad for the boat was hijacked by a sleazy marine broker. They were listing it for $5K more than what it was advertised for by the private seller. I noticed it a month after I bought the boat. I called the number on the ad and asked if it was still for sale to see what they would say. They said it was still for sale and that I could come to Fort Lauderdale and see the boat. When I told them that I had bought the same boat a month ago and to please take the ad down. The guy on the phone got belligerent with me and hung up on me. They did finally take the add down. There has been a lot of talk on THT about these guys.

Many of these sleazy brokers will get someone interested on the hook for the boat and then contact the seller to say they have a buyer for the boat. They take the amount above what the owner originally asked for as a finders fee. You'll see a lot of this on boat trader with multiple ads for the same boat for different amounts from different sellers.

Archived