Fire Extinguishers?

Phinz13

3 hours ago, JEM said:

The place where I can put my hands on it the quickest.

IMG_1292.JPG

Electrical fires usually start where there are electrical connections....I'm sure one of the fire-guyz have tons more experience than I do with this, but, I keep my fire extinguisher in a compartment where there are no batteries or fuel tank near by....

Under the console seat is where I kept mine when I had the pathy or the outside of the console I've seen them mounted...or may safety box under the front deck...

dc

3 hours ago, JEM said:

IMG_1292.JPG

WOW...did you wash and wax inside that center console ???????  that is very very very very clean !  Looks like Ron in Atlanta has got some competition !!!!!!!!!!!

nice job hanging the fire extinguisher too....  JJ

If boat is covered I'd say outside on leaning post, or t top. Otherwise front locker is prob best place away from wiring, batts and fuel which will be likely places for the fire to start. Be familiar with it where ever it is. 

Keep in mind these dry chem extingshers will pack down a lot in a boat due to chop. It's a good idea to shake em periododically prior to needing them. 

Also they are super corrosive. Places with sensitive electronics use halon instead for this very reason. If you discharged it under console prob lookin at full rewire. Id familiarize yourself with other ways to put out small electronic fires that might happen in console etc so that you might not have to use it if there are other options.

12 hours ago, JEM said:

IMG_1292.JPG

In my opinion a bad place, especially considering it's a likely pace for a fire to start. As a firefighter we don't open a door without a charged line in place. You have to open this door -all the way too-  to get your "charged line" (so to speak), adding a lot of oxygen to an area that likely wouldn't have much otherwise. 

Plus when you open that door, you've also made the vent hole the smoke and fire is gonna come out...and you'll have to deal with it while getting that extinguisher off the bracket. Again just my opinion, but try it holding your breath and blindfolded and see how you do...

12 hours ago, justfish said:

In my opinion a bad place, especially considering it's a likely pace for a fire to start. As a firefighter we don't open a door without a charged line in place. You have to open this door -all the way too-  to get your "charged line" (so to speak), adding a lot of oxygen to an area that likely wouldn't have much otherwise. 

Plus when you open that door, you've also made the vent hole the smoke and fire is gonna come out...and you'll have to deal with it while getting that extinguisher off the bracket. Again just my opinion, but try it holding your breath and blindfolded and see how you do...

x2

1 hour ago, JEM said:

It ain't going anywhere.

jem, don't be offended, it's your boat, stow it where ever you want. no one is telling you to move it. fish and I were just trying to explain a few facts regarding fire and fire safety. fish is a firefighter and I use to teach fire safety. one of the first rules is to never open a door where there is a fire on the other side. just trying to help and keep you and yours safe. again sorry if we offended you. :) fin

never seen a inside console deck where you could eat off of and such a high gloss.:):D

16 hours ago, fsusteve said:

In all honesty, those 5 and 10lb extinguishers aren't gonna do much if you don't hit it super quick, boats go up amazingly quick, you're better off keeping a 5 gal bucket handy and using seawater

So very true.  1 second per pound is the average discharge rate.  At that rate you better be very accurate and efficient, or better yet have several on board. 

Archived