St Pete/Tampa bay area

JJstrong

I hit intercoastal waterways. Boca Ciega bay flats around Johns Pass have been having tons of trout and flounder. 

St Joseph's sound have the reds and trout also.

Every pass is holding big snook at the right times; some more than others 😉

Sorry I couldn't help with the bay- I don't fish it much. My buddy has been having good luck on live greenbacks just south of Weedon island he told me.

50 minutes ago, SouthernWake said:

What area of the bay are you looking to fish? I can most likely help point you in the right direction on the st.pete side.

Not sure just yet I'm still researching. My "plan" was to stay on anna maria and be able to fish north in the bay area and south if i wanted. I don't know the area so not sure if it's better to be in St Pete or south of the bay.. As I learn more I'll be able to narrow it down. 

Weedon is a good place to start, can work the outside flats for trout then start looking for reds and snook as you move closer to the mangroves. Also throwing artificials under docks by weedon can be good as well if there is not much boat traffic.

chumming with extra bait can certainly help as mentioned above

grew up fishing on Tampa bay but it's been a few years so things may have changed.

Plenty of bait in the Bay. Lot's of Snook. Red's are hard to find, but when you do, they are thick. It's packed during the weekends, and the Coogan's are thick, but if you fish during the week its pretty quiet. East Side = Cockroach Bay south to the Skyway. West Side = Weedon Island and Ft. Desoto area. 

Text me 727 902 8784 Will you have a boat I assume?

I fish all of the bay from safety harbor to Sarasota bay. My main target is redfish but can help out with some of the other species. 

You can always start at Weedon but you will need live bait. I hate Weedon and only fish it 1-2 times a year, not because if a lack of fish there though.

I mainly fish artificials but if gotta go live i will. I fish 10k islands and i never use live bait but i guess everywhere is different. My main target is Reds. Ive been reading that you can find them schooled up on the flats, which i never see more than 2 together in 10K.
Linesider Thank you, yes im running my Hpxv out there ill give you a shout.

3 hours ago, Davej said:

Plenty of bait in the Bay. Lot's of Snook. Red's are hard to find, but when you do, they are thick. It's packed during the weekends, and the Coogan's are thick, but if you fish during the week its pretty quiet. East Side = Cockroach Bay south to the Skyway. West Side = Weedon Island and Ft. Desoto area. 

Ill be there during the weekdays june 12-14, then heading south to fish charlotte harbor and pine island for another 2 days. Never been to any of these areas im looking forward to getting out and exploring FL a bit. Thanks for the area recommendations..

I can help you with locating redfish from lemon bay to the south tip of pine island as well. Very familiar with that area too. I'm not super familiar with spots for bait in Charlotte harbor. 

I'm 95% artificial only, the reason I said you need bait at Weedon is the fish there are trained and most of the time only respond to bait. 

Man i appretiate that . That area i would probably need more help with than st Pete.  I mainly fish artificial as well so might steer clear of weedon. 

I'm thinking of finding a place to stay in bokeelia or pine island so I can access south areas and head north towards lemon too. Also heard that turtle bay and bull bay are good spots for Reds. And I can access boca pass for some poons that'll be there, think that's the right idea??  a lot of options in this area I'm excited about just need to plan. Again thanks for helping

Archived