Is a F150 Enough power for a 2200 Pathfinder

East Coast Dave

I'm not sure how Tall Tails will replay....... but I replaced a 200 HPDI to a 2008 F250 on my  year model 2001 -  2400v  in 2008...and it was a bad decision. YES, the boat would run 62 mph, but it handled horrible, sat very low in the water and allowed water to come in the rear scuppers when sitting at dock. Those early V series hull boats were designed for lighter 2 strokes and when you put that 600lb beast back there..( yes, those motors were 600 lbs then ) .....the boat is now off balance, the extra 150 lbs made a big weight distribution difference.. I put 650 hours on it and wished many times I had not made the change.I am very happy with the 2200XL I now have...Pathfinder changed the hulls to accommodate the larger heavier 4 strokes and keep the boat balanced. With that being said.........the newer motors are now lighter and the difference may not be as drastic. 

If you want to really go fast...... put the Merc 400 R on it. I have a friend with a 24 Young that runs 73 mph with the 400R.

46 minutes ago, JEM said:

I repowered from an F150 to a 225 SHO.  The 225 was about 25 lbs heavier than the 150, not enough to notice, for me anyway.

And..........I've seen this one run............it hauls azz and sounds really good !!!  The motors are so much lighter now......big difference than 8 years ago.

13 hours ago, nhinshoreangler said:

Tall Tails, Did you notice any difference in the balance of your 2200v when you repowered to the heavier 225 sho? Thanks

Well, the VZ 150 weighed 468 pounds. Add the oil tank with 2 plus gallons of oil and you are over 475. The sho 225 weighs in at 505. The difference is so minimal that there is no noticeable change in the attitude of the boat at rest, on plane, or anywhere in between. 

2 minutes ago, Tall Tails said:

Well, the VZ 150 weighed 468 pounds. Add the oil tank with 2 plus gallons of oil and you are over 475. The sho 225 weighs in at 505. The difference is so minimal that there is no noticeable change in the attitude of the boat at rest, on plane, or anywhere in between. 

My friend JEM took his F150 off and added SHO 225..... he loves it and it will fly. I guess Yamaha has really cut the weight down over the last few years...my old F250 was around 600 lbs !! 

Im seriously thinking about going to the SHO for my 22 also....I just need to win the lottery.

14 hours ago, Tall Tails said:

Great to know thanks!

I'd gain about 80 pounds net. I'd move my 2 cranking batteries from the starboard side rear to under the center console to help compensate.

Archived