2005 plus 17 HPX-V 24 volts trolling motor batteries, location

Stx4wheeler

I'm currently looking at 2005 and newer HPX-V 17's.  I will wanting to add a 24V trolling motor system to the skiff when I buy one.  I have seen or heard of a few different ways to mount the batteries but it seems there is not general consensus from everyone.  I did a search and found some info, but was looking for a little more perspective and options .  Skiff will be polled and trolling motored about 50/50 and will spend a decent amount of time on the beachfront  and on the hook.  Where I live we have lots of deep water and some long runs so having the boat perform better in rough stuff is slightly more of a concern than poling weight distrubution.

Option one I have seen.  Starting battery was mounted near the bilge down inside the hull, and wet lead acids were mounted in the center console for the trolling motor.  Boat road and poled really nice even with 3 fairly large dudes, had a 90 2 smoke out back.  I like the idea of keeping this weight out of the bow for running beachfront.

Option 2 - Starting battery mounted in the center console, and two Agm batteries mounted up front ( turned on their side).  I have not seen this setup in person on a 17 HPX-V but have heard it fits ok but is tight.  I am not a giant fan of all that weight in the front and the pounding the skiff will take.

Option 3 all small agm batteries like the odyssey PC1200's  in the center console.  Downside one of the skiff im looking at has stereo stuff mounted in there so it would have to be removed or moved to another area( not sure where it would go.  This skiff if a center console with jumpseat.  Not crazy about the cost of upgrading to three odyssey batteries.

Any other options i am missing?

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Stx4wheeler said:

Not crazy about the cost of upgrading to three odyssey batteries.

Neither was I but with the two that I have and 8 years of continuous use with no problems what so ever, its money well spent. I only have two, one 1500 series and one 1200 series in the console on my 17 HPX

Your battery locations are going to depend on the weight of the motor you put on the back.. I have two AGMs in the bow pushed all the way forward... When I weighed it all out I really had no other options because that's what it takes to keep the front chine under when I'm poling... If you are going to keep a TM permanently mounted, you might be able to move batteries back to the console .. In my case it made very little difference in ride.. My old 18-v hated weight in the bow, but the new 17 seems to run a little better with a balanced load.. My top speed seems to be 43 no matter what, the only time I've seen faster was with an empty boat with only 6 drops of gas in it..

Thanks Wayne, and Skinnyh20

The currently looking at two different skiffs.  One has both batteries mounted in the console and has a 90 2 stroke out back, and the other has a 115 etec with no trolling setup.

Do you think it would be better to have the batteries in the bow with the 115 Etec powered skiff to help with slap on the chines when poling since the motor weighs so much?

It's hard to say.. You are going to have to go through the same process I did... I used my nephew because he is kind of light... I  pulled the T/M off, put a reasonable amount of gas in the boat and him on the bow and tried polling the skiff into the wind.. I moved the batteries around until I got the best performance I felt like I was going to get without having any hull slap...  Light boats are weight sensitive and peoples opinions are very subjective, but I'm  sure you will be happy with the HPX it does a lot of different types of fishing well...

I'm very familiar with small boats that are weight sensitive.  I am coming from an ankona copperhead, and I fished it where an inch lost in draft was a lot and sometimes made the difference between getting to fish or not.  In the ankona I ran a trolling motor setup where the battery was mounted remotely in a cooler so that the weight can be moved easily.

I appreciate the input.

Archived