Live well pump Intake Stub Broke

Slo Poke1

The plastic stub to the live well pump broke and automatic bilge pump malfunctioned, bad combination. I always turn on the auto bilge pump after launching. Took off to get up in plane and felt like I was dragging an anchor. Glad I found it quickly and turned on the bilge pump and it worked. This reminded me that I need a back up pump. 

I always worry about your issue happening.  I think a Pathfinder could fill the bilge full of water before you are aware of what's happening.

i always keep all my valves closed except when I'm using my live wells or wash down and I plan to install a Rule 2000.

16 hours ago, Slo Poke1 said:

I always turn on the auto bilge pump after launching.

I really need to start doing that. Excellent easy tip, thanks!!

53 minutes ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

I always install a second bilge pump. Using a separate switch, wiring, battery and discharge.

I'm thinking about doing this after reading SloPoke1's post. That plastic stub can snap on any pump.

Had it happen to me in keys. On top of that, a piece of old bilge pump bracket got sucked into mu brand new bilge pump locking it up. Perfect storm so to speak.... Never knew anything was up til I took water over stern.

I was able to get up on plane, BARELY and had a buddy get trailer in water so I could literally drive right on it. As close as I've ever come to sinking... 

I now never leave without a manual bilge pump.  Needs no power except fear.

Archived