Bimini top advice

rckeat

Thinking of adding a Bimini top for when the family comes along for a boat ride.  It will only be used occasionally and removed whenever I am fishing. So I don't want to go crazy buying the perfect one.

I do want the flush mounted attachment points as I want to minimize any potential fishing snags when it's off the boat in the garage.  Was thinking a 54" tall version in Sunbrella available from numerous websites (iboats, boatcoversdirect.com, etc).

So what have others done and what will you not do again?  All comments appreciated.  

We just ordered a Bimini for our new 2200 VRS from Hertzog based on discussions/recommendations on this site.  It comes with quick release mounts, rod holder slots over the console, and the cover does not extend past leaning the post so you can still use those rid holders.  The best part, it lays in front of motor and does not block the livewells. He also offers thicker aluminum poles that are much lighter than stainless but still strong. 

Wavelength2 makes some good points. I had zippers put in my Bimini, right over the console rod holders. Also, the placement of the quick connects is important. You need the correct placement for the "using" position and maybe an additional set of quick connects so you can lay the top back and not obstruct any compartments and not interfere with trimming the motor up. Placement of quick connects takes some planning. Measure 4 times, drill once.

I have started riding a motorcycle after a few years of not having a motorcycle.  To keep skills up to date, I bought a few books on riding on the street, not how to go fast books but how to survive books.  One of them had a whole chapter devoted to, "riding at night".  When I got to that chapter, the entire chapter had just one sentence, "DO NOT RIDE AT NIGHT".  That was it.

Bimini top advice.  DON'T GET A BIMINI TOP.  On those few days when "the family" is along, etc. it is much more cost effective to buy a few good hats (Tilley) and some SPF 30 sunscreen.  No holes in the boat, nothing sticking out, nothing to fold up and have rattle, etc.  Plus, and this is just a theory, they attract the feared green-head horse fly.  Stop the boat with the Blue Bimini up and those monsters with wings start to gather immediately.  When we were in Africa a few years ago, we noticed blue, nylon structures up on the hills off the trail.  Our guide explained that these were tietsy fly traps.  The insects were attracted to the color blue.  Next time I was on the Georgia Coast on a boat with a blue Bimini up and a dozen horse flies arrived enjoying the shade, I put two and two together.

I think it is important to protect kidos from too much sun. I like the quick release mounts . They are not noticeable when the top is off the boat. 

If I were buying a top it would be a four bow top. Longer the better if you are going to have one. 

On 6/27/2017 at 3:40 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Have you looked at the "Shade Blade". I put one on my 23 and love it. You can remove the rear straps when fishing, so the whole back is open. Can be removed in about 10 min. and stored in a bag. Weighs about 35 lb. Guaranteed up to 50 mph.   https://www.tuuci.com/collections/shade-blade/shade-blade/

Nice,

I just got a hydrashade ($114 8') for when fishing and the Hertzog Bimini ($1,200) for light fishing/leisure.  The Hertzog with the ACCON quick release clips is a very nice top.  We keep the hydrashade in the port front box.  But, I'm going to get a quote on the Shade Blade; I like the idea of being able to remove straps when fishing.  Going to see if there is a way to use the Bimini without rear straps; Phil Hertzog may be able to figure it out.

22 minutes ago, Wavelength2 said:

Nice,

I just got a hydrashade ($114 8') for when fishing and the Hertzog Bimini ($1,200) for light fishing/leisure.  The Hertzog with the ACCON quick release clips is a very nice top.  We keep the hydrashade in the port front box.  But, I'm going to get a quote on the Shade Blade; I like the idea of being able to remove straps when fishing.  Going to see if there is a way to use the Bimini without rear straps; Phil Hertzog may be able to figure it out.

If you get serious about ordering the Shade Blade, let me know and I'll give you a few pointers. There are some things you need to know, that are not on their website. Don't get me wrong, I really like this top and think I made the best decision for me, but there is some stuff they omit or fail to tell you on the website. Also, the instillation is a little tricky, but I got that mastered.

The manufacturer of the Shade Blade does not recommend removing the rear straps, even if it's just to fish. So, I made this thing to give the top plenty of support without the rear straps being attached. Below is a pic of a PVC model of what I call a "stand-off". I took the model to a guy that welds polished anodized aluminum. It's all welded together except the part where I have my finger, that part bolts around the grab-bar, then I ran two bolts through the pole and through the vertical part of the stand-off. This makes the top very rigid and I don't have to worry about it moving around in the wind when the rear straps are removed.

DSC06287.JPG

Thanks for the pic.  I was looking at the hydrashade today and thinking how nice it would be to have an auto deployment shade device.  Get a big fish on and hit a button.  Kinda like the Minn Ulterra or Cannon downrigger.  lol.   On a more serious note, I'll contact you if I get more interested after playing with this hydrashade awhile.

Archived