21 MA Outboard question

Ejerome09

Quick question for you all. Please move post if not allowed here. Since you guys all have great advice on used boats on this forum, I figured I would refer to you.

I just sold my smaller  18' skiff. I'm looking at a 99' MA21 with a 99' 150 V6 Yamaha saltwater series and a 98' MA21 with a '97 200 hp Vmax. Both sellers are unsure of the hours on the engines... any advice, tips, or suggestions on buying a boat with unknown hours? Both boats look to be in good condition overall.

Thank you all in advanced!!

A lot of older carved motors have unknown hours. They might have a gauge, might not. I'd get a compression test done and check the fuel lines for ethanol damage. If it checks out, hammer down. 

See if the owner will split the cost of a survey. That will give both peace of mind and if you walk, the owner can verify the actual condition. I'm inclined to agree that a 150 might not be enough. Yeah I'm sure guys will chime in that it'll be plenty...etc, but I'm not ever going to buy a full size truck with a V6 if you know what I mean. 

Archived