Gel Coat chip below water line

General disarray

Hi all!

I just recently picked up a new to me 2003 pathfinder which has a few gel coat chips I would like to repair. There are two on the rail (which isn't a big deal) but I have a question on the third - It is below the water line and looks like its just the gel coat that chipped off exposing the fiberglass underneath. It looks like the resin is still intact - should I be concerned about any water intrusion?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am new to the pathfinder 

1 hour ago, General disarray said:

Hi all!

I just recently picked up a new to me 2003 pathfinder which has a few gel coat chips I would like to repair. There are two on the rail (which isn't a big deal) but I have a question on the third - It is below the water line and looks like its just the gel coat that chipped off exposing the fiberglass underneath. It looks like the resin is still intact - should I be concerned about any water intrusion?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am new to the pathfinder 

No problem...either of these two products will work just fine.... I have used both. The Marine Tex is a little easier to work with...but the Spectrum will match your hull color perfectly. 

IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1530.PNG

I used the spectrum. I masked off the area around where the damage was. Then applied the paste leaving it a but high cause you will sand down to a smooth surface, let cure until the next day. Pulled off the tape revealing damaged area. First start with 220-320 grit wet sand then down to 400 & 600.  You never know where it was when finished. This is the one I done yesterday. Had a 1" long hole on the keel where I hit the trailer when I came in a little too hot and sideways. Lol 

IMG_1323.JPG

Archived