Battery charging problem

SCFD rtrd.

Planned to spend a couple months fishing at the condo. Well everything was great for about two weeks, then I noticed while fishing that my trolling motor seemed weak. I heard a beep and noticed my depth finder turned itself off. I knew right away that I had a battery problem. Since my depth finder is attached to battery #2, I tested that battery for voltage and got 6.74 volts. I plugged in the 3 bank charger and there was no voltage going to that battery. The other two batteries were getting 13.8 volts from the charger.

The problem is that I don't have the place, time or tools to remove and replace my battery charger at the condo. Battery #2 is my back-up starting battery and is also the second battery to run a 24 volt trolling motor. So, with the charger still plugged in, I turned the battery switch to "All" and I got charging voltage to battery #2. So, that night I left the battery switch in the "All" position and let the charger run all night as usual. The next morning, battery #2 was 12.75 volts. I left the battery switch on "All" and did my usual thing, using the depth finder all day and using the trolling motor a lot, occasionally running for spot to spot with the outboard. Everything preformed as usual.  

I assume that battery #1 (the starting battery) is bleeding over to battery #2 when in the "All" position and being charged by the outboard and since the batteries are charged about 15 hours a night, that is keeping battery #2 charged. I guess my question is; do you see any adverse effects limping by with this method until I get the boat back home to my shop?????

I would be calling the charger people and ask that question. I do know that you have to have all three charging leads connected but some manufacturers let you double up the connections to a battery so if you want to charge #2 you can switch the lead from 1 to 2 at night. Again I would ask that question of the manufacturer. Knowing you, I am sure you checked the inline fuse from the charger to the battery.

Good luck and catch some fish.

What kind of charger ? MK or Dual Pro....

1.) When your battery draws down that low, most charger systems will not charge it back up - ask me how I know this (LOL)...

I suggest to you get to Home depot or a auto store or west marine and get a small trickle charger  for $50 or so and attach it directly to the battery on the positive and negative.  Turn off the 3 bank charger and let it sit over night....I can almost guarantee you it will be fixed...you can then use it as a back up.

I have a "Marinco" trickle charger I used for my extra truck battery I keep in the back of the pickup in case my truck battery ever dies cause I forget to turn off lights or something silly.

You could have a bad bank in your charger system or a bad cell in the battery...you didn't say if it's wet cell or AGM?

Good luck...

dc

I had similar problem and come to find that one of the banks had gone bad on the charger(Dual Pro). I called them and they said it would be fine to keep charging my other two batteries with that charger. It will still run fine on two banks but not on one. I just use a seperate charger to charge the third battery until I get another three bank. If it's not a Dual Pro you need to check if it will run on two banks as some will not.

I have a Stealth Charger. I asked them a similar question. I have 2 tm batts, 2 bank charger, and #2 tm batt is also #2 starting batt. Also have one batt for starting #1.

I asked them, would it be ok if I charged all 3 batts with a 2 bank charger by placing the batt switch in all. They said yes, no problems. So I think you're ok.

What I do is charge the tm batts first with batt switch off, then put it to all. Does that matter, prolly not. Just helps me know if the batts charge good, in case one fails.

Almost sounds like one bank is not working as said above.  Could you just swap leads having the 2 working banks charge the TM batteries while the motor takes care of the starting battery?  You would then know your TM batteries are getting a good charge and if you feel the need to charge the starting battery switch to "all" to top it off.  Just thinking here.

Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to take mulligan's advise and use the two active charging leads to charge the trolling motor batteries. The batteries are 1 year old AGM from Sam's Club and the charger is a Dual Pro. Each charging lead (positive and neg.) has an inline fuse. I checked and they all have continuity.

Archived