New Hewes Owner - Questions for the veterans

LargemouthSpec33

Gents,

I just purchased a 1998 18 Redfisher with 115hp Yamaha.  I bought the boat sort of on an impulse since I made a low offer and the owner took it.  The boat is in good shape for a nearly 20yr old boat.  Some expected dings and obvious signs of use.  But overall in solid shape.  I wet tested last week down in Louisiana and it was the first time the owner had taken the boat out this year.  Overall, I think this boat has very low hours for it's age.  I do have a few questions.....

1) Is there supposed to be a "cap" over the gas tank vent?  It's located under the rubrail under the fill point.  Mine almost looks like it was a threaded connection but it's open with no cover.  Maybe their is an internal "trap" to keep any water out?

2) Can someone post a photo or a link showing me the latch from the compartment in the console?  The console has storage and a "hinged" door that is removable.  The latch on mine is missing.

3) Can someone recommend a cover?  I thought about just getting something standard but a bit larger to account for the center console height.  I am not sure if a standard 18' boat cover will fit considering the console height.

4) I am used to running a bassboat.  I have an 18' Ranger with 150hp Yamaha.  That boat holds 40 gallons.  The 18'RF holds 30 gallons.  I think the range of a 115hp with 30 gallons is probably comparable.  The RF is noticeably lighter when towing behind my truck.

Any other general comments to a new vintage Hewes owner are welcome.  I have actually been looking for a second boat for years.  I always wanted this model but never found any that were remotely close to where I live in Louisiana.  I was close to buying an aluminum boat.  Then this gem popped up.  It sure looks cool sitting in my drive next to the Ranger.  The hull is vastly different and overall...a smaller boat.  But it should be fun.

Thanks,

Jason

Post some photos of what your asking about so we can try to answer your questions.  

As far as cover.  I ordered mine thru Iboats and they made a custom cover to fit the platform.  Don't remember which particular company. 

• 3 weeks later...

Vent cap has a breather opening,buy the cap should be installed ASAP.  I run it's bigger brother a 1998 LT 20ft.  The boats were very well made.  My gel coat still looks terrific.  I love having it up in  NE where you don't see them very often.  People are curious about the poling platform and pole.

Archived