Trailer Lift

Bruce J

I have a friend who just installed a 4-post car lift in his garage so he could stack his cars. Very cool and not hugely expensive - about $3k installed. See Dereckweaver.com for examples. I've thought about getting one to store my trailer in the garage and wonder if anyone else has done it? 

I keep my Maverick on a lift at my dock and rarely use the trailer for it. I currently have the trailer stuffed under the house in the crawl space (3.5 feet piers).  I can get it out now, but it's a pain. Still better than let it sit outside and rot while also paying a storage yard. Then I saw my friend's lift and the wheels started turning. 

I called the Dereck Weaver guys and asked if they saw any issue with using it for trailer storage. They said the main thing is that the trailer has to fit within the posts and the wheelbase needs to be within a certain margin. I'm sure my HPX trailer will work, but a Pathy trailer might be too wide. Don't know for sure. 

In addition to storing the trailer, it could also be used to stack a couple cars or even SUVs if you have enough ceiling height. I would also be able to use the Mav trailer for hauling my Sunfish sailboat or kayaks to a new place if I felt like it. Anyway, it sounds like it could be very useful and I'm surprised I hadn't heard of anyone using one yet for boating purposes. 

I'd love one. Most people don't have the room, especially the height for it tho. 

Also can you just put it on a 4" slab? I recently built a detached garage and thought I remembered architect asking  about if I was planning on one so some footers could be added.  

I can't have mine outside on a slab because of space and HOA requirements. Regarding height, they say you need to add the height of the two vehicles (or whatever you're stacking) and add 7". My buddy has his two cars stacked in a fairly normal sized garage.  Mine is actually quite tall, 16 feet I think) so that's not an issue for me. 

I think you are on to something if you have the space to put it.  I am sure the ramps could be fit for the length but like you said the with of the Pathy maybe a factor.  I have used a standard 2 post lift to remove my old 18' Lappy from the trailer and it was a tight fit, don't think my 21 would make it.  When I put my truck on a 2 post lift and next to a post I can't open my door and get out. 

Been wanting one of these for a while as well.  Not for storage, but it would be great to be able to get under the trailer easily for maintenance and work on all my other stuff as well.  Beat the heck out of jacks and jack stands.  I was thinking of a two post lift though, since I wouldn't be using it for storage.  I'd really love to have one that was semi-portable so I could roll it out of the way when not in use, but never seen anything like that.  

Justdriftin, my buddy's 4-poster comes with casters which he can put on or take off.  With the casters he says he can easily roll it around wherever he needs it, including pulling it out onto the driveway.

The 2-post lift is quite different (at least from Derek Weaver).  It has arms in a V shape which lift the car from under the chassis.  Apparently mechanics prefer that for some type of work.  I don't think that would work well for a trailer though since the weight distribution might be a problem.  The 2-poster also has to be bolted into the concrete, not free standing or mobile like the 4-poster.

If it rolled out of way, I might be interested in that. Didn't know they had such a thing.  The ones I've seen take up a huge amount of real estate.

Still, In your case by storing your trailer like that it will taking up a lot of space because it's being used.  Seems to be like a bit of an overkill for a small trailer (if that's all you were gonna use it for) and it might be easy enough to hoist it with some pulleys and an electric winch if needed. Obviously I've never seen your shop to see what you have to work with....

I checked out some YouTube videos on some DIY cable hoists for utility trailers, platforms, etc but am not going that way for a few reasons.  Although those might work, I suspect I'd be at or over the weight limit for hanging from the rafters, and I just don't have the time to do a DIY project like that.  I also don't have the access above the ceiling to do it properly.  But, those systems look really great for lighter projects.  Plus, I want to be able to use the lift for possible car storage too at times. 

Unfortunately it looks like the grand lift plan won't work out. I did the trailer measurements today, and even though it will fit well inside the lift posts, which was my primary concern, the lift's runways are too narrow. With my 80" outside width measurement of the tires, about 3" (or half the tire) would be hanging off on each side. While that would still hold it up, if I were just 3" off while backing it in, one or both of the wheels would drop off the runways. 

Maybe there's some other lifts than Derek Weaver's which would work better, but I think I'm heading back to the drawing board.  Looking on the positive side of things - that does explain why no one else had tried this great idea!

I'll just keep writing to myself, just in case this is of any value to anyone!

I did find two other lifts from another manufacturer (BendPak) that would fit my Maverick's trailer.  So I'm back in business - sort of. 

One is called the 7W and it has an 82" outside width for the tire runways, so mine would fit with about in inch to spare on either side. It's about $1,000 more than the Derek Weaver one.  In the neighborhood of $3,500 before installation, so that makes it a harder call.

They also make one specifically for boats and trailers, but I believe it's too wide to fit in my pretty substantial garage.  And it's a further $,1500 or so, pushing the edge of $5,000 total.   (https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/bendpak-hd-7500bl-boat-storage-lift-p/bendpakhd-7500bl.htm) 

Archived