Mixing regular fue lwith Rec fuel?

Shindig

9 hours ago, Shindig said:

Is there any harm in mixing Rec. Fuel with regular fuel in your tank? 

For what purpose?  To move from one to the other? Meaning, you have corn juice and want to move to rec fuel?  Or, vice versa ?  Then, not a huge deal, just run down the tank as far as possible and then mix.  Over time the differences will be minimal in a few tanks.   If you are considering doing it on a regular basis, not recommended from all I've read.

DC

I've mixed it many times, never an issue. I try to use ethanol free when I can, but it takes some planning since the only station near me is outta the way. So when its time to go fishing and I need gas I get whats available. Im not saying its the best thing to do, just that it has never given me an issue. 

I know a fuel truck driver here in SC He drives the truck to Wilmington  NC pulls under the dispenser  puts in a fancy credit card and it puts in non alcohol gas next dispenser knows how much alcohol to put in. If you add 10 gal of 10% ethanol gas to 10 gal  non ethanol you have 20 gal of 5% ethanol.

I would be more concerned over age and condition of original gas.

3 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

Octane is octane regardless of ethanol content.

Yes and no.  Octane is a rating, so if 87 e-10 and non-e 87 are measured and used at the same time it is true.  Now take into account the time from which the dinosaur juice is squeezed, ethanol added, goes to the station, and gets pumped into your tank. Also keep in mind that the higher octane of the ethanol drops to the bottom of the tank, along with water, leaving the lower octane at the top.  Now you pump your e-10 87 octane fuel and it is not going to be 87 anymore.  On average they say by the time you pump e-10 that you will lose 2.5 points of octane. So that pump that reads 87 is really 84.5 octane.

The boat is used frequently and I routinely use regular gas with Stabil Ethanol additive because locally it is available and convenient,  rather than travelling miles out of  the way for ethanol free gas.  However, on some occasions when on the water the marina will only have ethanol free gas.

Thanks for the replies.

I was told by a Citgo rep that it's not a good idea to fill up your boat or vehicle with corn juice and let it sit for a month or more. Regardless if you add ethanol treatment or if you mix it with Rec90. He said that people who use their boats regularly (a few times each month, or more) shouldn't be concerned with the type of fuel they use as the main corn juice issue stems from allowing it to sit in your tank & in your fuel lines for extended periods of time. He also said that Citgo did tests that showed the use of corn juice in non-metal tanks is not a good idea and that corn juice degrades Rec90 when they are mixed. I'm no scientist and I don't understand all the "ins and outs" of this topic. I only know what I've been told. But I have never pumped a drop of corn juice in my current boat's tank nor would I. Why have my motor burn lower octane corn juice if it doesn't have to?

Archived