Battery Issues????

YankeeRedfisher

Two batteries, Guess battery switch, 1 engine. Both batteries read 12.3 vdc with a meter. When Guess switch is in #2 and I turn the key----it peggs out in the wrong direction ZERO. When the switch is in the # 1 position, motor stars everything fine. Battery charger on board no bad lights. What is wrong. Is this showing a short when # 2 is used. No changes in wiring or anything. Ran fine last year.

Sorry about the poor description. This is not my RF18 but my Graywhite Seafarer.  When I put the battery switch in the #2 position (which is normal batt start pos.) the engine barely tried to turn over. I thought bad battery. When I switched it to #1 position, the engine turned right over and ran fine.(first  start up this year).

I noticed that when I turned on the ignition with the batt switch in #2 position the needle pegged downward hard (opposite from what it should do which is ascending color bars of red, yellow and green showing battery condition). I suspected a dead battery but the on board charger (2 bank PRO Mariner ) did not indicate a battery fault. I put a meter on BOTH batteries and they tested the same at 12.3V.

I'm thinking I have a short on #2 side of the Guess battery switch. Will open it up today to check. I also observed quite a few mud wasps coming out of that compartment;maybe they got in and shorted it out.

THANKS for your replies and advice I've been on this forum for many years and find it very helfull. Sure do miss HOBO

On 7/1/2017 at 2:52 PM, YankeeRedfisher said:

Problem Fixed. Even though the #2 Bat read 14.3 vdc it tested as failed on the machine at Auto Zone. My records indicate it was replace last in 2010. Pretty good for an expensive Blue Top. $ 264.00 with tax. Problem was simpler fix then I thought . 

7 yrs on a blue top !!! u done did good !!!:)

DC

Archived