Boat that has been in storage

East Coast Dave

Looks like I'm going to buy a buddy's boat. He has it in storage at a marina in Clearwater and hasn't used it since September. No charger on the batteries and they gas that has been sitting since then.  Any suggestions on things I should consider before taking it out.  I'm a little concerned about the gas and batteries.  Anything else you would be concerned with or suggest checking out?  He's a stand-up guy so and he said everything worked when he last used it so other than minor maintenance issues I should be okay. Do you think the gas will be an issue?

Thanks again. 

If the boat has been sitting for 10 months, I'd be concerned about lots of stuff. Most importantly, the gas and batteries as you stated. Have you thought about having to gas removed and start with fresh stuff. Additionally you could have some corrosion concerns on buss bars and elect. distribution panels. I think I'd sit at the ramp for a while and check out the bilge pump, look for leaks, run the livewells and stuff like that. Is there a trailer in the deal?

I would drain  the fuel, with new fuel and some fuel system cleaner like BG carb/injector cleaner run the motor on muffs for at least 15 minutes to be sure the system is clean.  Battery may have to be replaced,especially if it is more than 3yrs old.

I have a bad fuel experience with stored boat over the summer in SWFL even though the fuel was stabilized, damm E-10.  never use it if you can avoid it. Do you know if the fuel is rec 90?  That can survive a longer storeage time if it is stabilized. What is the power on the boat 2 stroke or 4?

I bought my first boat from high and dry that sat for 1.5yrs; owner died and estate continues paying until widow realized and quickly sold. Marina had gas topped off, both batteries dead so obviously get a jump starter. Fuel was not an issue; it was dry stored and topped off to minimize moisture. Just go for it- Any and all problems are still on the seller at this point so if he's a stand up guy have him drain fuel and re-top off if needed. But go there expecting to jump it, and then run it hard to feel for hiccups if there is any moisture. I wouldn't worry too much honestly.

Get a professional fuel tank cleaner to come to the vessel.

He will drain it and then use fresh fuel to pressure clean the inside of the tank.

Several things I did on my MA 17 1995 when I bought her:

1.) Fuel tank clean

2.) It had a carb job previously so they were clean

3.) Filters on the engine, RACOR, oil in the engine, new impeller, lower unit oil, plugs and you should be ok

4.) I"d go with new batteries if they have not been maintained

5.) I 'd change out the anti-siphon valve on the engine (20 min and $10 part) - blow out the fuel line with a compressor to be sure nothing has clogged up the fuel siphon from the tank - crud, varnish, etc.

6.) I"d put in a new OEM fuel bulb

7.) check your bilge pump and check the one/two/all switch....sitting for 10 months, it can corrode---unscrew it and check the back and the connections, check all your fuses on the fuse panel and any in line fuses for corrosion.

8.) Get under the console and check all the wiring, make sure all the connections are solid and no corrosion, spray everything down with corrosion block etc.

I probably left off a few things...but, here's where I'd start....

dc

Archived