Engine Alarm

FunFlatsFishing

I successfully ran my Pathfinder with a 2006 Yamaha F150 well in excess of 100 miles over the last 3 days without any issues except for one on day two. 

While in the middle of Boca Grande pass while backing off the throttle after a 15 mile run the engine alarm went off and throttled back the engine automatically. My engine temp gauge looked normal and my water pressure gauge seemed to be normal. 

Anyways I just turned off the engine and restarted it and the issue went away and I successfully ran the boat for the remainder of my trip without any issues. 

Any ideas on what happened? Maybe a clog in the water pump that passed? I had my 100 hour service 2 weeks ago.  Outside of that one mishap, the boat ran perfectly fine. 

The engine overheat alert  should drop rpm to about 2000 rpm  it should sound a alert and if you have the round Yamaha digital   tach/ multi meter it should blink in the left lower corner . You will get the same alarm deal a buzzer comes on rpm drop and the oil pressure alert should blink. The oil indicator should be in the lower center part of your tach  ,  if you ever hear a buzzer again look at your tach and see if you have a blinking warning lamp  left lower should be Heat center lower should be oil,as soon as you see what warning lamp is on shut it down. You may of just picked up some trash and clogged our cooling inlet . Hope this helps Joe R

I had this happen 4 or 5 yrs ago.  stopped restarted and alarm went away and stayed away.  I think I picked you some junk on the water pick up that fell off when I stopped. Never happened again.  I would say as long as everything else checks out it should be ok,BUT if happens again get it checked out.

Grass. It happens to me a lot. Floating grass around here has been a big problem this year. For some reason this Pathfinder catches it worse than any other I've owned. I keep one eye on the water pressure and one on the water. When it takes a sudden drop I go to neutral then reverse to clear the grsss. 

Archived