How to drain fuel tank

z28jimi

Having trouble with my 2006 2200V that very intermittently will run rough, or be hard to start after running and then shut down.

I'm being told my issues are probably due to ethanol contaminated fuel, and that I should just "run it out" before I do any repairs (clean or rebuild injectors, replace filters). Seems to me it would be much better to drain the remaining fuel (estimating about 15-20 gallons) and then start again with good fuel. Thought I could use a hand pump, but I can't get even a 1/4" tube down the fill hose, so I'm guessing there's a check valve or something there. Am I right? If so, is my only alternative to pull the fuel gauge sender and pump out the old fuel that way?

On my 2400v, I bought it and she had been sittng for three years. I had to remove the inspection plate inside the center console...and remove the top inlet / fuel gauge tube, etc and insert the suction tube there....we used a 12 volt electric fuel pump ( less than $20 at Advance auto) be sure to have long input and drain lines to keep the electric fuel pump out of the boat. Pumped it out ..into some 5 gallon cans. Easy process....but the gas fumes are bad....did a tank rinse with a sea foam brand product and pumped it out.....put it all back together , cleaned the engine injectors and changed spark plugs...and it ran fine for years.

1 hour ago, fishmanjj said:

On my 2400v, I bought it and she had been sittng for three years. I had to remove the inspection plate inside the center console...and remove the top inlet / fuel gauge tube, etc and insert the suction tube there....we used a 12 volt electric fuel pump ( less than $20 at Advance auto) be sure to have long input and drain lines to keep the electric fuel pump out of the boat. Pumped it out ..into some 5 gallon cans. Easy process....but the gas fumes are bad....did a tank rinse with a sea foam brand product and pumped it out.....put it all back together , cleaned the engine injectors and changed spark plugs...and it ran fine for years.

i could write a book on the ethanol troubles i've had. going thru the sending unit hole is good. put about 2' of copper tubing on the end of the pick up hose and make sure you get all the way to the back of the tank. worst case is to have to cut a hole in tank and clean it out by hand. been there-done that. here's a pic of the hole and patch i used when i went thru this problem.

access hole.jpg

gas tank patch.jpg

2 hours ago, z28jimi said:

Did you clean them yourself with a product added to the gas, or did you have them pulled and cleaned?

I had our local Yamaha dealer / mechanic do the " exchange "on the injectors ... whereas they take yours as a core and you buy a set of rebuilt ones, seems like they are about $35 each that way.  Check with your local Yamaha shop....

I just bought new spark plugs and changed them....everything else was ok. That was over 150 hours ago....

Archived