Livewell Drain Clogs

FunFlatsFishing

What techniques do you use to keep your livewell drains from getting clogged? My Pathfinder has two different stand pipe heights and both have the cage on top but it doesn't have the plexiglass shield that blocks bait and seaweed from clogging them that the newer pathfinders have. 

Today when I was switching from the tall standpipe to the short to start draining the water, several pinfish swam down the drain and clogged it. I went home and snaked it but couldn't used that livewell for the rest of the day. Typically it's the pinfish that hide behind the pipe which is why I like my whitebait much better. 

The Plexiglass shield is good for keeping bait out of the strainer, but the grass will make it's way through eventually. I have to remove the glass gizmo about twice after catching bait to remove grass. You can make a Plexiglass shield and figure a way to keep it in place. If you make one, don't make it the same height as the standpipe. I'd make it about 2" shorter then the standpipe, so you can reach in and remove grass without having to remove the Plexiglass shield. Then when you want to remove the standpipe to drain the livewell, just reach over the plixiglass shield and pull the standpipe up. It will drain, but your bait will not be able to swim into the drain.

Archived