Key Switch Issue

FunFlatsFishing

When I turn my key switch to accessory or to start, the Yamaha Multifunction gauges don't turn on. If I turn the key slightly past accessory or start and hold it there, they work perfectly fine. 

Any ideas??

In the first photo, the gauges aren't on while they should be. The second photo where I am holding the key slightly past the resting point, they are on  

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

The quickest and easiest thing to try is some lube. Spray some in the key hole and on the key, then insert the key and rotate the key about 27 times. Let it sit overnight and try it again.  You might also have loose wiring associated with the key switch. Holding the key in a position for a while, heats up the wiring and eventually it expands and makes the connection. Make sure you wires on the back of the key switch are corrosion free and tight. If that doesn't work, a new key switch might be in your future.

I believe General Motors had an issue with short circuits in their ignition switches causing a lot of problems. They determined that one of the primary causes was stress on the switch caused by the weight of miscellaneous items on key rings. This was particularly a problem with women who tended to have carry decorative items on their key rings in order to make them easier to locate in a purse.

GM ignition switch recall was excessive weight handing on the switch , combo key remote and extra key weight could turn the ignition switch from the on/run position to off if you hit a bump .  On a boat I would think the ride would really put a lot of stress on your ignition switch .Sometimes it would not go all the way to off and would shut off some electrical functions, GM went as far as to have just the key in the ignition and the new key blank would not have a key fob , also the new blank would have a round small hole not a slot .  If that was mine I wouldn't have anything but the boat key and safety line hanging from the key switch. Joe R

On 7/9/2017 at 8:44 AM, hawg said:

I believe General Motors had an issue with short circuits in their ignition switches causing a lot of problems. They determined that one of the primary causes was stress on the switch caused by the weight of miscellaneous items on key rings. This was particularly a problem with women who tended to have carry decorative items on their key rings in order to make them easier to locate in a purse.

Man,  I was thinking the same thing!  

Archived