Sea star 5358 support rod removal

General disarray

Hey guys,

I tried this on another thread but In case someone missed it I wanted to start my own.

so I need to replace my seastar cylinder on my 03 2200 and there is a new version that may require me to remove the old support rod. The motor is as low as it will go so the tolerances are tight - does anyone know if you can get the rod all the way out without dismounting the motor?

i stole this photo from the other thread to show what I am talking about.

To the original owner of this photo: sorry I stole this but it's pouring outside and I am hoping to start this project tomorrow.IMG_8262.JPG

The rod slides out. No need to remove the motor or support it. Trim it up to a position as needed to slide the rod out.

Be sure you use a good marine grease on the new one, don't spare the grease and be sure to use the grounding cable provided in the new kit.

The new one, Seastar 5345-3 will be more compact than the one your replacing. Don't worry about it, will work fine.

48 minutes ago, mustang190 said:

Here is a pic of the ground cable on mine. The grease fitting is only there to hold the cable strap on.

20170708_194619.jpg

Awesome! So the zerks don't actually do anything?

seastar said if the zerks are there I will definitely have to remove the original support bar so I figured it did something.

On 7/9/2017 at 9:51 PM, mustang190 said:

There should be no zerk fitting on that location on yours. Just a threaded hole that does not go all the way into the shaft housing.

The zerk that I installed to hold the wire on does nothing. 

Ok I got it in and done and like I said took pics to do a walk through. 

When at center I have about 1/8-1/4" play total (half that to a single side) when I push on the motor side to side but it appears there's no more air coming from bleeders or helm. Is that in spec? When at lock it's solid and won't budge

Archived