Access Hatch leaking

Wgamble

I noticed my Hewes 18 was getting water in bilge when running livewell and after a series of test I figured out the livewell overflow was hitting the access hatch in the splashwell and leaking into boat. No matter how tight it was it was still getting in there. Any ideas on where to get new seal or another way to stop it from coming in? Thanks!

Now you have to figure out if the water is leaking under the hatch ring or the removable lid. The ring is easy to remove, reseal, and reinstall.  If it's leaking past the  threads, then you've got two choices. Replace both with new set OR (depending on how often you go into the bilge access) smear a very tiny bit of clear silicone sealantonthe threads.  That usually will keep out a minor drip. You do not want to apply so much that you cannot reopen the hatch easily

If the base of the flange is sealed or reseated as stated above, the O rings my have dry up with time , and the contact surfaces wear slightly . In a pinch if there is an O ring  roll it away from it's location carefully . Just enough to apply a very thin bead of sealant inside the recess ,where the O ring sat .Wait a few mins and roll the O ring back in place ,slightly embedding it in the sealant ,don't press it in ,then lit it dry . Coat lid seal area and base with the Vaseline  this will help to seal as well as preventing tighting from pulling O ring from the sealant . Only temporary fix. Read that some of the guys have removed the small acess cover and installed a large  rectangle hatch with removable lid that has a seal . That's my next new project 

Archived