Optima Blue Top Problems

hawg

I've just had to replace (under warranty) my third Optima Blue Top 34M trolling motor battery in the past 4 months. I'm running a 24 volt MinnKota RT 70. Each time, one (and only one) of the batteries has shorted internally, failed to take a charge, and tested bad at the NAPA dealer with an output voltage of 4 volts. Has anyone else had similar problems with these Optimas? My original Optimas lasted for 8 years. The new ones are lasting about 8 days.

Sorry to hear I have the same 2 batteries for my trolling motor an night lights , they also don't seem to hold a charge for more than a weeks when I first picked up my boat . Removed Optmas an charged them in garage with same 2 bank Guess on board charge . Then removed charger from circuit ,volts indicated 12 to 13 volts , 1 1/2 days later 8  on one and 10 on the other . My  starting battery is an Interstate flooded cell , all 3 are about 5 to 6 years old . So I'm go to Deka AMG batteries for all 3 Even though I'am running a 1996 yamaha 130 2 stroke . When your charging them do they feel warm or hot ? And was there any signs that the case has swollen ? Hope some one chimes in to give you some solid advice, Severial have shared there experances and valued thoughts with me .  Good luck

James,

The cases look fine. When the battery shorts, it burns the fuse on my onboard charger. If I take the battery out and put it on my garage charger it will show nothing on the charging gauge but will overheat the leads in about 30 seconds.

Archived